Question about panels and thickness

SWMBO has commissioned me to build her the Cherry console in Woodsmith #146. It calls for taking 1/4" cherry plywood and gluing them up back to back to make side panels. Will a solid panel that is 6" x 23" x 3/8" split over time if I use nice straight stock?

Reply to
joeD

If it is floating it should not be a problem.. However, it will not be a thick as 2 1/4" panels glued back to back. Because the plywood is also used on the back panels and you would be buying a sheet of cherry anyway, using solid wood for the narrower side panels would be more expensive than simply using the plywood.

Reply to
Leon

not if the panel is floating.

Reply to
bridger

I just wish two pieces of 1/4" equaled 1/2". I just glued them up and they are somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2.

The reason I asked is because I have lots of cherry that I got cheap awhile back and the plywood I bought looked so pretty I didn't want to cut it

Reply to
joeD