Question about panels and thickness

SWMBO has commissioned me to build her the Cherry console in Woodsmith #146. It calls for taking 1/4" cherry plywood and gluing them up back to back to make side panels. Will a solid panel that is 6" x 23" x 3/8" split over time if I use nice straight stock?

If it is floating it should not be a problem.. However, it will not be a thick as 2 1/4" panels glued back to back. Because the plywood is also used on the back panels and you would be buying a sheet of cherry anyway, using solid wood for the narrower side panels would be more expensive than simply using the plywood.

I just wish two pieces of 1/4" equaled 1/2". I just glued them up and they are somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2.
The reason I asked is because I have lots of cherry that I got cheap awhile back and the plywood I bought looked so pretty I didn't want to cut it <grin>

not if the panel is floating.