question about lacquer toughness

Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up about a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several coats over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really looked good and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he scratched right through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do something wrong? I know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and you'd think it would be tougher then that. Thanks
--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

I can tell you that normal spray on lacquer is brittle, so not so tough, but it's brittle because it's hard. Something must have been wrong with either the lacquer or the application method.

about
good
Lacquer is brittle - not tough.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

I don't know how long it was between application and scratching but lacquer does take awhile to fully cure. As for using it on cabinets, cabinet doors and sides do not normally get a lot of use that would cause scratching. When they do get marred lacquer is easier to repair then a varnish.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

Thanks for all the info. I did google first but didn't find a answer to this question. Again thanks.
--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.