Q splitter

Anyone remember a little clip that was sold as a splitter that went into the curf of a long board being ripped? It looked like an upside down T with a wing nut or star wheel on it, It was placed in the curf after the board passed through the blade and keeping the curf from closing and also supported both sides of the offcut. Thanks to anyone that may have a link to someone selling them CC
"CC" wrote:

Why not make one?
An 8-32 bolt, couple of fender washers and a wing nut.
(8-32 for 1/8 kerf)
Lew

Thanks Lew, That would work, but the tool is about 3" or so in length and would offer more support. If I can't find it, I will probably end up doing that CC

I have two of them I bought a number of years ago. Seldom used, but very handy little tools when they're needed.

I remember now, the ones I have were called Kerf Keepers. Did a google on that name and only came up with discussion and some patent applications, no one actually selling them.
Not the same, but a handy cheap splitter...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pQ151&cat=1,41080,41165
CC wrote:

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but it performs basically the same function.
http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm
Lee

Thanks Lee, But Upscale had the right ones, "kerf Keepers". I wanted to be able to support both sides of a long cutoff and to keep them from closing up when being cut, I saw plans for making some out of a couple pieces of flat metal hangers but if I can find these I'd be a lot happier CC

CC wrote:

There appears to be a set of three Jorgensen "Kerfkeepers" up on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-3-PONY-%22Kerf-Keepers%22--%22KerfKeepers%22---New----NR_W0QQitemZ280267457087QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20080916?IMSfp=TL080916106008r24841 .
If that link doesn't work just go to ebay and search on "kerfkeepers". Right now they're at about 20 bucks for the three with three days to go.

--John
I found that after learning what they were called and have bid on them thanks CC

One thing to check on if you're buying used and pick them up in person. Make sure the vertical part that's welded to the bottom piece isn't about to break off. They're the weakest part of the assembly. The two I have never reached that point, but I did notice how easily the vertical parts would bend where they were welded on. Repeated unintentional bending would weaken that area to the point of separating.
wrote in message

I will keep that in mind if I can find a set to look at first, I emailed Jorgenson and they said they had not made them in about 15 years or longer, They also did not know of anyone making anything similar. I'm trying to get a set used now, If not, I will make something that will work CC