Pumps for vacuum veneering

Page 2 of 2

Gast makes nice units. 'Medium', in my book, is about 22-24". The unit , two-stage, from HF, pulls 27" (measured with 2 different gauges). I call that a hard vacuum. Any more than that is not needed when baging veneer. For hold-down, I like 27" or more.
This guy used to hang out years ago. He ended up making a real site out of veneering stuff.
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/faq.htm
On 2/24/2012 5:07 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Also, the poor man's vacuum pump..
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pQ167&cat=1,250,43298,43314,51167
On 2/24/2012 5:07 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Hell, I paid $80 for a GAST two stage medical pump. It can run 24x7. Got it on the internet a few years ago.
Hard to pay $50 for a manual pump....No bag ever holds a seal 100% so you must have to pump regularly.