Preventing router tear-out on cedar

Any wisdom on preventing tear-out with cedar when making boxes using a jig? I tried painter's tape with limited success.
Thanks!
On 9/21/2015 4:48 PM, Michael wrote:

Be more careful.
Seriously, you nee to provide way more details to get any reasonable answer.
On 9/21/2015 5:48 PM, Michael wrote:

Are you talking finger-jointed or something else cut by jig? I've always found that using a fresh backer board works with any sort of wood with through cuts. Depending on the look you are going for, knife-scoring at the deepest point of the through-cut will minimize tearout (at the cost of a scored line showing up, of course)
On 9/21/2015 5:48 PM, Michael wrote:

piece of wood clamped the to edge.
If routing a groove, use a down cut spiral.
While forming an edge, I had a large section blow out in the middle. I glued it back in, then raised the bit for the remaining cuts, then lowered the bit for a final cut, that way I would not ruin any other parts. I used sawdust as filler on the piece glued in. I also moved a little slower, but not too slow to burn the wood.
Tape does help.
--
Jeff