Porter Cable Router Gloat at the BORG!

Just left the BORG with my new 2HP Porter Cable Plunge Router(model 8529) For the bargain basement price of $90!!
Regularly $219, marked dow to $100, and I have a 10% off coupon.
And SWMBO was with me when we first saw the price, and it was out of stock at the first BORG we went to, she recommended try another one. Second times a charm in this case
They have a lot of other really good deals yellow tagged right now!
The regularly $299 portable air compresser with 16ga finish nailer down to $199
The 18v Dewalt drill regulary $199 down to $100 the 12v Dewalt XRP drill regulary $169 down to $100 The top of the line Porter Cable Tiger Saw from $199 down to $100
Go check it out
hda
and which borg would it be ? Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's......
Borg refers to Home Depot unless otherwise specified.
GTO(John)

A.I. wrote:

Thanks for the hint. I got the last one at my local Home Despot. ;-)
-- Mark

But now, what do I have? Anyone know the difference between this and the 7529? Both are listed on the P-C web site, and the descriptions look nearly identical. One has a "powerful" 12-amp motor, while the other has a "heavy duty" 12-amp motor!?!? What else is the difference?
--
Alex

The 8529 has a "micro plunge adjustment" feature which makes it really handy to stick in your router table. It also has a hole in the base into which you can insert a knob through the router table to adjust the bit height without reaching under the table. It's pretty dern sweet.
Rob
http://www.amateurtermite.com

I've had the 7529 for over a year now and it has performed quite well. It isn't the greatest thing since perforated toilet paper when it comes to table operation, but it is powerful enough for what I have used it for. I'm sure if you only wanted to use it in a table you could modify it to make it more "table friendly", but as it was my only router at the time (I'm not counting my "super-hella-newbie Ryobi router as a router), I didn't want to pull out the springs, etc.
Granted, I'm no router expert by any stretch of the imagination. Now that I have two routers, I have twice as many tools as I have talent :)
Rob
Henry Webb wrote:

I'm telling myself it is. I got mine to replace a 1/4" only, no dust collection, vertical-repeatable challenged low-end Craftsman router for hand use. I have a DW621 in my router table I never want to take out again because I got over zealous with the screwdriver & started stripping threads. The PC lets me use 1/4 & 1/2" bits, has built-in dust collection, and I've played with it enough since yesterday to appreciate its increased precision over the Craftsman. I'm completely satisfied.
Still...
Having bought my first home PC in 1983 ("A ten-megabyte hard drive? My God, what will you do with all that space?") this feeling of getting a good deal but missing a great one is old and familiar.

Not an option here.

Yes! It's a good tool, plus there's the SWMBO angle....
-- Mark
begin 666 smile.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y# #`0`[ ` end
begin 666 wink.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`+,``````+^_O___```````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```0T,$@):ITX5,'Y MQ4 G>E,XC@`EF.MJIJSEQ>PI;C9:YZYGOQK?C12<R8C%7P;7^60TEA0F`@`[ ` end
Ok, I have to ask, what does BORG stand for?
KIM

It's not what it stands for, it's what it represents. The Borg came from the Star Trek second generation series. They were a race of half machine, half humanoid, interconnected creatures that were mostly identical in nature and determined to assimilate the universe and convert it to their way of existence.
Apply that generic precept to a Home Depot or similar store. They're identical, they spread like locusts and they're determined to assimilate the industry to their way of existence.

masses.
You get the idea, if you have seen much Next Generation Trek. -- Jim in NC
Big Orange Retail Giant

Hey, Mr. Munster,
Is that the original meaning of "The Borg"

--------------000705060205040504050004 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Hey, time is flying.
First reference to Borg, Nov, 98. And it stuck. At the time HD was expanding and closing out hardware stores and lumber yards with agressive price matching policies.
http://www.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm656693C.53A8FAC1%40sprintlink.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fsafe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26as_ugroup%3Drec.woodworking%26as_usubject%3Dborg%26as_uauthors%3Deddie%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den
My only claim to fame in this world....
Bwahahaha.
John
Blair wrote:

KIM
--------------000705060205040504050004--
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0400, "A.I."

Although I still love my Makita 6095 9.6v, I did want something with more power and torque for the big screws and that Dewalt 12v XRP sounded perfect. Enough power for the home shop and not too much bulk and weight. Well of course, I waited too long and all the Home Depots were sold out yesterday so I went down the street to the Lowes to see if maybe they were clearing it out too. It wasn't on sale, they still wanted 169.99 for it but the tool manager told me they had the Makita 18v Mforce on a "unadvertised" sale for 159.99 and they had 2 left, one in box on the top shelf and the display model. I said I would think about it and left.
When I got home I starting checking prices and reviews and found this was a pretty decent price and the Makita was getting better reviews than the Dewalt. I checked Makita's web site and there in front of me was a 40.00 rebate form for that drill. So this morning I went back and bought that last one off the shelf. I think I did pretty good getting a brand new 18v Makita for 120 bucks. The charger is even backwards compatible with my 9.6v batteries so just one charger for both drills. I'm a happy camper and glad things worked out the way they did.
BTW, the tool manger seemed to think this unadvertised price was probably good at all Lowes stores and the rebate is good until the end of the year, in case anyone out there is looking for a good deal.
Jeff
You won't notice the splinters in the ladder of success, unless you are sliding down,
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:10:34 -0400, "A.I."

I hustled right down to HD when I saw this post. There were not 8529s, but there was one remaining 7529 for the same $100.
You 7529 owners may not know that there is a conversion kit to convert it to allow microadjust from the table-top.
See http://www.lapollostools.com/store/907320.html