Porter-Cable 8501 question for electrical engineers / technicians / electricians only

I have a PC 8501 battery charger that is having some problems and was wondering if someone technically capable (i.e., I don't want anyone to get hurt) has an operating one that they can open up and check two components for me. Mine has a voltage regulator that is blasted apart in the middle (where the component identifier is) and a high(er) power resistor that is burned and scorched beyond recognition. If anyone can identify these two components, I'd appreciate it (and I can repair my charger). The voltage regulator is a three terminal device that looks like a TO-220 package and the resistor looks like it is (was?) about 2-3 Watts but cannot read the color bands. I'd rather know what was really in there rather than taking a best guess.
TIA, George
Hmm, you don't know what your doing, but want to fix it?
What was the cause? Battery shorted out?
First off if your looking at reverse engineer a battery charger, it's a 12v charger... Go to Radio Shack, or download a 12v regulator data sheet and rebuild it off of that. The Data sheets will give you all the specs you need to build around it and the Battery's spec too. I doubt Porter Cable will give up the chip. Is the Transformer Ok? Caps Ok? unless you know what smoked it and corrected that first the rest is futile. Either build a new one from scratch or buy a new/used one.

First learn from your mistakes, you have a smoked charger, because of poor design. should have smoked a fuse. Why rebuild a smoker. and if your an EE, the time to design a new one was wasted on the email.......

And, how is figuring out the required specs a waste of time? Now, either contribute useful info or move on.
George
I don't know why I was unable to retrieve your message prior to today...but THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You've answered all my questions on the charger. Much of my charger's components are unreadable!
Thanks again, George