Pole Barn Tips

That would work, minimum. The roof will hold, but may sag a little. Look into Fiber-Cement Siding for the wall sheathing. It comes in 4x8 sheets like osb, but is impervious to everything. Maybe the first 4ft. of wall could have OSB on the inside as a kick shield.

I don't know if there's an aspca in your area or some equivalent association, but you may want to check and see how much room is needed for llamas. They're pretty big, no?

Reply to
-MIKE-

My favorite is "Pole Building construction". ABEbooks.com has one for $5 right now. There were 77 hits for other books with that phrase in their name. This book is exactly what you ar looking for.

Pete Stanaitis

coloradotrout wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I replaced my old garage with a new pole building, 30x30', which is now my shop.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

What's the best way to construct the roof?

I have seen 2x6s (rafters) or such strung from front to back across the tops of the poles (poles space 8' or more), and then 2x material (purlins) laid down across those. When I said laid down, I mean the wide part of the board (4", 6", 8") is nailed down to the front to back rafters, and then the roofing is nailed to these.

Would it be better to attach a 2x6 across the front and back of the building, and then hang rafters between those? I guess the problem is there is nothing to attach the roofing material to, so one would first have to nail some sheathing to the rafters and then the roofiing material (metal).

Reply to
coloradotrout

The typical way is to run 2x8 or 2x10 along the poles the length of the building, then rafters along the slope, 8' is a long span for a

2x4, so probably 2x6s would be needed. Then, if you don't have a a close rafter spacing, purlins across the rafters to support the roofing, or if they're closer, . You can gain some strength for purlins by attaching them on edge instead of flat, but I don't know if that would be enough for an 8' span between rafters. Spacing also comes into how small a lumber you can use. There's a whole art to selecting lumber for projects like this, do a web search for "span tables".

This is where all those plans people gave you links to would come in handy, to get an idea of how big a piece of lumber you'll need across what sort of span...and not have to calculate it all out yourself from the span tables. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn

This is a pretty good picture of what you need to do.

-MIKE-

I generally like to work from the concepts to the design to the building. Most of the links here were for plans of a specific building. I'm looking for some general ideas and concepts to sort out what's best for us. One thing we are interested in it a moveable shelter design. We are new to the property and there are various features - woods, pasture, ponds, streams, that may very well change our thoughts on where to locate the shelter. I'm considering a welded metal frame on skids then sided/roofed that can easily be towed around. But eventually, I think we'll test our luck with some pole buildings.

I can see where the combination of 2x along the length, rafters, and purlins can be many. Wider rafter spacing, more purlins; narrower rafter spacing, fewer purlins; and so on. Also, the type of roofing material could play into that. I also need to think in terms of longevity. I can certainly see where a 50 year old building desing would be beefier. I was thinking more like $200-$300 and what can we get for that.

Reply to
coloradotrout

Try to read the plans with an eye to technique, rather than getting distracted by the overall picture of what they do with that structure. Pay particular attention to structures in the size range you want to make, as they will use similarly sized materials to what you want to use. If you want to build it cheaper, consider using roughsawn lumber from a local mill rather than imported lumber from one of the big box stores. There are a number of plans at the .edu websites that are for movable designs, especially in the size ranges you've been discussing. Like this one:

the pens, and look at just the poles and roof. Even this one:
the addition of some wire fencing may do what you want. This one:
be more expensive to build, but it wouldn't be that much more work to add skids in place of the slab.

Also, it may help to do a search on "run-in" sheds, as that seems to be the general idea of what you want to build. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford