Plywood Storage

Page 2 of 2
GarageWoodworks wrote:

How many sheets? Let's see...
20 sheets of 3/4 would weigh about 1500. Stored flat that would be about 47 lbs/sq.ft load if the weight was perfectly supported over the entire area which it can't be.
I don't think I'd want to do it.
Storing sheet goods is a real PITA.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yep. I ended up storing 10 sheets of 3/4" cherry 13ply under the spare bed; about 750#.

I have a similar set up above my garage door. Why above the garage door? To keep me from putting too much up there. Keep in mind that 3/4" plywood is heavy, you "fasteners" need to be able to hold a lot of weight. 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood/mdf could weigh in the 250-320 lb. range. That weight is going to be transferred to your fasteners, and that is no only going to be static weight. You will be pushing and pulling....
I would advise checking your ceiling joist specs but you have mentioned that you have living space above. It should not be a problem provising you dont get carried away with loaking it up.
Think also that you will be walking under that mass,,,, you would not want it to fall down on top of you.
Basically I only use mine for left overs. I never buy any more plywood than what I need for a project at the time I need the material. Because up high storage is tough to work with , a 2 person job to load and unload, it is less trouble for me to never have to put a sheet up there unless absolutely necessary.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:46 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

I like storing sheet goods vertically.
Easier to view them. Easier to pull them out.
No dead corner in the shop??

I built a *movable* plywood storage rack (it's on casters). Fits in a corner of the shop. http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/PlywoodStorage#5426767571633625506 or http://tinyurl.com/ylbcfqw
Max

Yeah. Perfect.
I mean ... if you DON'T have the room, then you don't have the room, but ... I do like what you built, there. Very nice!

A good sheet of 3/4" ply can weight 80# or more. 10 sheets is 800#; can your hanging storage system handle all that?
scott

Folks who have reason to store significant numbers of 4x8 plywood sheets lay the stuff flat, close to the floor (but not directly "on" the floor).
Examples can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, et al.
Most of us simply cannot afford the space required for this ideal plywood storage system - especially since individual stacks are maintained for each type and thickness obviating the need to remove one or more sheets to get to one at or near the bottom of the stack.
It is unlikely any of us will improve upon this appraoch - or reduce the "footprint" it demands in the process.
The answer is "short-term" storage for the average woodworker and the various "on edge w/support" approach is likely to prove the best way to go.
The quantity stored should reflect the operation(s) in progress and the delivery time required for such large materials.
When it comes to large or bulky stock and materials, order what you need a bit before you are prepared to use it seems the best approach.
A "dumpster diver" myself, I have hoarded materials over time in anticipation of a myriad of "projects" that might someday be. So I can commiserate with the OP's intentions and have attempted various "solutions" to comport my need for work space with my disinclination to turn some long-held stash into firewood.
I built a big barn, then added an extension and intend to build an equipment shed next - and re-arrange the basement while I'm at it.
The cart shown at
http://diversify.com/wood/sheetgoodcart.jpg doesn't seem to "do it" as the footprint appears too small to support a 4 x 8 sheet on it's long edge. In my case, I use a couple of short 2x4 "feet" attached with a 1x3 ledger strip and lay the sheets on these feet and lean them against the shop wall
But, as mentioned, this is not a great idea for long-term storage of a variety of sheets intended for unspecified projects to be started at some time in the future.
As to the over-head storage idea, I'd pass. Too old any more to be wielding 40 pound sheets of stock I can barely hold onto into a small opening seven or eight feet above the floor. To say nothing of the difficulty of removing the bottom sheet when it is - and none of the others on top of it - needed for the project.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

you never saw someone pull the tablecloth out from under the fully set place settings?
same way. it's all in the wrist.

Ow!
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:46 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

30 years ago I thought it was a great idea. Hung the supports for a rack before I drywalled the ceiling. I've got some plywood I'll get to some day up there, but its pretty much just used for dimensional lumber now. I'm going to build something vertical now that I can keep the sheets totally upright in and still be able to roll it out of the way. I have a 10' ceiling. What ever I do my primary design considerations will to be able to pull one sheet out with out having to move any others, and having a way to hold them so they can't develope a bow in the sheet.
Mike M
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:23:46 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

I recall a Tools and Shops issue of Fine Woodworking some years ago where someone had an overhead storage that I believe was for sheet goods. The shop was very small, if I recall correctly.