Plywood Storage

A good sheet of 3/4" ply can weight 80# or more. 10 sheets is 800#; can your hanging storage system handle all that?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yep. I ended up storing 10 sheets of 3/4" cherry 13ply under the spare bed; about 750#.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Folks who have reason to store significant numbers of 4x8 plywood sheets lay the stuff flat, close to the floor (but not directly "on" the floor).

Examples can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, et al.

Most of us simply cannot afford the space required for this ideal plywood storage system - especially since individual stacks are maintained for each type and thickness obviating the need to remove one or more sheets to get to one at or near the bottom of the stack.

It is unlikely any of us will improve upon this appraoch - or reduce the "footprint" it demands in the process.

The answer is "short-term" storage for the average woodworker and the various "on edge w/support" approach is likely to prove the best way to go.

The quantity stored should reflect the operation(s) in progress and the delivery time required for such large materials.

When it comes to large or bulky stock and materials, order what you need a bit before you are prepared to use it seems the best approach.

A "dumpster diver" myself, I have hoarded materials over time in anticipation of a myriad of "projects" that might someday be. So I can commiserate with the OP's intentions and have attempted various "solutions" to comport my need for work space with my disinclination to turn some long-held stash into firewood.

I built a big barn, then added an extension and intend to build an equipment shed next - and re-arrange the basement while I'm at it.

The cart shown at

doesn't seem to "do it" as the footprint appears too small to support a 4 x 8 sheet on it's long edge. In my case, I use a couple of short 2x4 "feet" attached with a 1x3 ledger strip and lay the sheets on these feet and lean them against the shop wall

But, as mentioned, this is not a great idea for long-term storage of a variety of sheets intended for unspecified projects to be started at some time in the future.

As to the over-head storage idea, I'd pass. Too old any more to be wielding 40 pound sheets of stock I can barely hold onto into a small opening seven or eight feet above the floor. To say nothing of the difficulty of removing the bottom sheet when it is - and none of the others on top of it - needed for the project.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

you never saw someone pull the tablecloth out from under the fully set place settings?

same way. it's all in the wrist.

Reply to
charlie

Ow!

Reply to
keithw86

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:854da1c8-f227- snipped-for-privacy@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

If you've got the space in the center of your shop for a 4x8 (or 4 1/2 by

8 1/2) you could build a workbench and store the ply underneath. Put casters on a bottom sheet of plywood, and you could even roll it out from under the table when you need it. The plywood would be stored flat and you'd have a workbench that's not all wasted space.

Shove this up against the wall, and you'll lose the 2' as noted above. Consider that you'll need at least 3' of work area around 3 edges of the table, and you'll have to bump the space requirements up to 4' for the side the plywood comes out. Most garshops can't handle this.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I built a *movable* plywood storage rack (it's on casters). Fits in a corner of the shop.

Max

30 years ago I thought it was a great idea. Hung the supports for a rack before I drywalled the ceiling. I've got some plywood I'll get to some day up there, but its pretty much just used for dimensional lumber now. I'm going to build something vertical now that I can keep the sheets totally upright in and still be able to roll it out of the way. I have a 10' ceiling. What ever I do my primary design considerations will to be able to pull one sheet out with out having to move any others, and having a way to hold them so they can't develope a bow in the sheet.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Yeah. Perfect.

I mean ... if you DON'T have the room, then you don't have the room, but ... I do like what you built, there. Very nice!

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Good idea - but how about a larger table and store the sheets below the top on say three shelves. Using the old numbers - 1/4, 1/2, 3/4. Center of a room and use the table from all sides.

Mart> "GarageWoodworks" wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

-------------------------------- That's called a table saw run out table.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I recall a Tools and Shops issue of Fine Woodworking some years ago where someone had an overhead storage that I believe was for sheet goods. The shop was very small, if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram