plywood - lines

I have some furniture grade plywood, when I finish it, there are small lines in the grain that run perpendicular with it. Is it a plywood defect or am I sanding too much or not enough?
Thanks, Randy

You wouldn't happen to be sanding across the grain would you? What tool/method are you using for sanding?
Bob
I use a dewalt orbital sander, and I sand with the grain.
BillyBob wrote:

My guess is these are marks left from the machine sanding. You might try some hand sanding with a finer paper to see if they go away easily.
Bob
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:46:34 GMT, "BillyBob"

they may well be witness lines of the veneer layer just below the surface, finish veneer. if so, trying to sand them out will be a disaster.

Are they lines or more like evenly spaced, uniform rolling hills? I had the problem just described with some Baltic birch that came in 5X5 sheets. They sanded out using a 6" random orbit sander and 80 grit paper, but I probably came very close to going through the veneer.
I don't think they are rolling hills, look more like lines to me.