plug configurations- help please-

I know I've seen it posted here- but I can not find it with Google. How do I know what plug configuration is for what purpose?
I helped set up a band saw this afternoon, the flat blade was on the (wrong?) side. I think. It did not fit our 220 recepticle anway.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks!
-Dan V.
http://www.networkcable.com/pages/components/nema_nonlocking.html
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

around. MAKE SURE you know what you're dealing with before you change anything! For safety reasons, the receptacle *must* match the voltage and amperage of the circuit supplying it. And to avoid frying the bandsaw, the motor voltage must match the receptacle voltage. From your description, I'm _guessing_ you have a 120V plug and a 220V receptacle, not the other way around. DON'T put a 220V plug on the cord until you verify that the motor is actually wired for 220.
Following are ASCII-art representations of what various receptacles and plugs look like. Best viewed in monospaced font such as Courier. Shown with ground on *top* just like it's shown in a NEMA configuration chart. Sorry, I don't have an online source for this, just a page in a printed catalog.
120V 20A receptacle O | |-
120V 20A plug O
--

240V 15A recep. and plug are the same
-- --

240V 20A recep.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:16:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That is absolutely not true. You can use a 15A. plug in a 20A. receptacle.

Maybe he has a 20A. plug and a 15A. receptacle.

They have it wrong, though. Ground goes on the bottom! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Recently read the ground on top was meant to avoid shorting if plug was partially pulled out and something fell on it.

Read what I wrote, idiot. I didn't say anything about matching the plug to the receptacle. (How'd you get out of the killfile? I'd better look into that...)

Do you have any idea what the different receptacles look like? Did you even read the original post? "The flat blade was on the wrong side" CAN'T describe that situation: a 120V 15A receptacle has two vertical blades, and a 240V 15A receptacle has two horizontal blades. His description makes it very clear that the plug and receptacle are both 20A, but one is 120V and the other is 240V.

You really don't have a clue, do you? NEMA = National Electrical Manufacturer's Association. They're wrong, and you're right. Yeah, sure.

It'll be a lot nicer once I figure out why I'm seeing your posts again.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:47:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You said...

And I said that's not true...and its NOT, idiot. The ampere rating of the receptacle does not need to exactly match the ampere rating of the circuit. My example above was yet ANOTHER example.
Go check your kitchen wiring and receptacles. Not guaranteed, but you may see what I'm talking about there...or at least somewhere in your home.

RIGHT!!! ROTFLMAO !!!
GOTCHA!!!!

What's this 'clue' you keep talking about? Hmmmmmmm.

You are just TOO funny. No backbone...no integrity...and now no way to back out! lol
BTW...are receptacles allowed to be installed so the ground isn't at the bottom OR the top? lol
Now...don't ANSWER this...or you'll look like a 2-faced jerk again. Or maybe you haven't fixed your filter yet...and you'll be able to read THIS one, too!
ROTFLMAO !!!
Have a nice week...
Trent
http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:42:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcomcast.net (Dan Valleskey) wrote:

The plug design must match the receptacle design. Its not just a matter of matching voltage.
If the plug does't plug into the receptacle, it just DOESN'T. Go to your local hardware, tell them what you want to do...and have them sell you a matching plug and receptacle.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent

This suggestion completely ignores the issues of matching the voltage of the tool and the ratings of the plug and receptacle to the voltage and amperage of the circuit. It's certainly *possible* to put a 120V 15A receptacle on a 240V 20A circuit, and a 120V 15A plug on the cord for a 120V 20A tool, and plug the tool into the receptacle. But it's stupid and dangerous to do that.
It is NOT enough to simply go to the hardware store and get matching parts. You have to get the CORRECT matching parts, and this means matching the voltage and amperage ratings of the tool, the receptacle, and the plug to the voltage and amperage of the circuit.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:57:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

What part of...

didn't you understand?

Let me know if you can read this, Dougie. If you can, I'll write back and try to explain some wiring theory to you.
BTW...should the ground tab be to the LEFT?...or to the RIGHT?
ROTFLMAO !!!
Have a nice week...
Trent
(Doug Miller)

Sorry, Wade, won't happen again. He's back in the killfile where he belongs.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:28:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Before you go...
Are you gonna retract your erroneous post about those receptacles? Or are you gonna let the OP go on with false information?
Have a nice week...
Trent
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:30:12 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

I can't even understand why this is goin' on, Wade. I made it to Dougie's kill file.
Have a nice week...
Trent
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:30:12 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

BTW, Wade...
I don't pull this shit with anyone else. I try to help when I can...or at least contribute sometime. And I lurk a lot more than I post.
But Dougie followed me over to other groups...where he's seen my posts. And he brought over stuff from THIS group.
To me, that kind of behavior is demented. At the very least, its definitely troll behavior.
He'll reply again to one of my post. He's GOT to...that's just him.
His kill filter didn't falter at all. HE did!
To everyone else...
Be careful of any personal information you divulge to Dougie.
Have a nice week...
Trent