Please Help - My birch dresser has a strong raw-wood odor??

Hello, I'm very much a newbie and have little experience. We just made a dresser out of birch wood (from Home Depot), and polyurethane all the exposed wood. It has been a month and we still can't use it, as clothes take on a strong raw wood-like smell. I thought about maybe varnishing the inside to seal the wood. Would that make a difference? What would you recommend to get rid of this odor?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Reply to
RayRay

Generally, it is the varnish (polyurethane) that is the culprit. However, if it is truly the wood, get either Deft brushing lacquer or a clear shellac sealer made by Zinzzer. Both should be available at the local Borg. These two finishes will dry and leave no smell.

Preston.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
nospambob

I was always of the understanding that if you finish one side of your wood but not the other you will have problems as the unfinished side absorbs moisture at a different rate than the finished side. For that reason alone I would finish the inside and hopefully it will solve your other problem.

Reply to
David Hall