Planing with a Jointer?

Can you sufficiently plane a piece of wood on a jointer?
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:29:34 -0500, Tim wrote:

For flatness, but not for thickness.
- Doug

Or parallelness (sp). JG
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I am curious, How? I can understand we can have 4 sides perfectly flat, but parallel??
--
Mike

Hi Mike, I meant to imply that you might have four flat sides but they would not likely be parallel. JG
Mike wrote:

I see, That's what I though too :-)
--
Mike

"JGS" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> a crit dans le message de news:
For what?
You can use it to establish a flat face easily, a nearly parallel without too much effort, and a perfectly parallel face with some work . Use the techniques you would use if hand planing on the side to be made parallel.
OTOH, you don't need perfect parallel on most stuff, do you? You even take what is, and ruin it with planing, sanding and tweaking after assembly. If you ever get close enough to see it, you'll find antique furniture was often left as is from the scrub, not even the jack, on the insides and underneaths.

If

I build airplanes for a living. I wonder what they would say if my goal was to build them like they did 100 years ago?

Now if you built them like they did _fifty_ years ago, they'd be good for another twenty of bomb hauling....

with you about things like basic safety standards.
The construction details on some of those old airplanes were just plain scary.

No doubt.
CW wrote:

Some years ago, a childhood friend called and invited me to join him in rebuilding a couple of airplanes. They were French-built, in the 1930s. I could read a little French at the time, and all the manuals were in French. I remember marveling at the workmanship of the woodworkers who built those airframes. I have never seen any wood more finely crafted.
Thirty-five years later, I'm again working on French airplanes. Metal and composite now, with amazing performance and technology. The workmanship is still superb, but no better than that of the workers who built those airframes of wood in the 1930s.
Dale Scroggins

By the 1930s aircraft designers and constructors knew what they were doing and the standards of aircraft workmanship were extremely high everywhere.
Before, say, 1910, it was a very different story.
--RC

Sufficient for what?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland