Planer Purchase

Hello everybody, I am going to be purchasing a bigger planer in the very near future and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this subject. The Woodmaster and RBI sure look like nice universal tools that I would love to have since I would like to be able to make my own 5 ¾" base, 3 ½" casing and 8" plinth blocks but I am not sure how the finish is when using the planer itself. I have seen some people complain about the finish and others love it. My other choices are the Powermatic 15" deluxe model or the 20" model. I am leaning more towards the 20" model as it has 4 cutter heads and will probably provide a very nice finish and can allow me to plane panels up to 20" wide. Any opinions out there as to what you would purchase if you had $2K to spend on a planer? Thanks. Curtis

Reply to
Curtis Bergeron

I'm saving my sheckles for the Powermatic 15" fwiw. But, if you have 2k to spend, I'd get the 20". Bigger, more power, gotta be better! SH

Reply to
Slowhand

spend on a planer?

Yep. Woodmaster 718, $1600 or so, plus shipping, gets you in the 2k range. Woodmaster 718 with Pro-pak allows you to do those moldings, plus drum sand, plus gang rip, for an extra $700.

I've been inquiring about the Woodmasters for a year or so, and as soon as I find the space for one, I'm getting a 718. I don't see any other reasonable options.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Curtis - Also take a look at the string below "Which 15" Planer - Ollie" He is looking at several including Powermatic, Griz, and others. Might be some useful info show up there too.

Reply to
RonB

That's easy. Parks 98. I'd put the other $1300 into other good tools.

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

Thanks Ron, I have been trying to find my post and somehow it managed to show up under another Planer Purchase post. I guess since I gave it the same name it put it under the existing. Woops! :)

Curtis

Reply to
Curtis Bergeron

i have a 718 with pro-pack, and it's a good machine. i have very few complaints. it's simple... but extremely well built. plus, i find that i use the drum sanding attachment as much as the planer. and it cuts molding beautifully.

good luck with your purchase.

--- dz

Reply to
david zaret

Since making my post, I found a Woodmaster 718 w/ pro pack in the local classifieds for $1100. Six years old, has very little use, but was a bit rusty. I bought it anyway. Guy had *everything* with it, including the original invoice and an extra set of blades for the planer. No molding knives, though (curiously).

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE