planer problem

Page 1 of 2

I have a new dewalt 13" planer and I am having hard time getting it to feed reliably. The wood is pine which has been air dried for 2 years. The rubber feed rollers are getting covered with sawdust/chips and will not feed the board properly. Every 2 or 3 boards I have to wipe the rollers down with paint thinner to remove the dust which must have some pitch in it. Is this normal? How do sawmills feed green wood into their planers? Also the boards are getting small (<1/4" diameter) scooped out gouges in them. What is causing this? Thanks for any help.
You don't have a dust collector connected to it, do you? Connect one and both problems will go away.

feed
rubber
boards

Which one, specifically?

Normal when planing air-dried pine, yes. Kiln-drying hardens the resins in pine, and greatly reduces this problem.

Sawmills don't plane green wood. They wait til it's dry.

It's caused by chips not being extracted from the housing fast enough. Do you have a dust collector attached to this planer?
--
Regards,
habbi wrote:
Also the boards

a lack of effective dust collection. Try hooking up a decent DC to the planer.
Dave
The planer has a 4" exit chute and blows a very large amount of air from it. The factory DC adapter reduces it to 3" and the I have it going back through 10' of 4" flexible hose into a barrel for collection. The top of the barrel is covered with a fine mesh bag. Actually the hose and mesh bag with drawstring is from my leaf blower/vacuum mulcher. I guess I must be restricting the air flow to the point that all dust chips are not being totally exhausted. The planer came with a chip chute adapter to aim the chips into a garbage can but they end up everywhere. Short of a DC system how can I control the chips going into a can without them going everywhere.

habbi wrote:

You can't...the 4" exhaust is for hooking up to a DC...w/o that you're only option is to let 'em blow because it isn't going to blow them into anything--ain't a gonna' work.
habbi wrote:

rather than relying on the blower inside the planer, you'd do better to hook up a true DC. Something that SUCKS---hard. :) I presume you have the $500 DeWALT planer?
Dave
habbi wrote:

if there's no outlet for the air, the blower won't be effective because the air needs somewhere to exhaust to.
Dave
That is the idea of the mesh cover that fits over the barrel, it is supposed to let the air pass through it and keep the dust in the barrel, but it must not be letting enough air through. Yes it is the most expensive dewalt, up here in Canada it was on sale for $635.00.

A DC adequate for your needs will cost you maybe another US$250-$300 at most. And be useful for most, if not all, of your tools.
One thing leads to another, doesn't it? ;-)
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

[snip]
And that's a good thing so long as SWMBO buys into your argument<g>
habbi wrote:

The planer is designed to be used with some form of dust collection. It has a 4" port for attachment to a dust collector. The adapter actually reduces the 4" to 2.25" for use with a shop vac. By attaching a 4" hose and simply running it into a barrel you are restricting any fir flow produced by the planer itself. If you don't have any means of duct collection you would be better off removing the 4" hose and let the planer try blow the chip without restriction. This is best done outdoors unless your neighbors are armed.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

How many cfm's should you look for in a DC system, I assume it should be more than the planer puts out of it's own fan.

is
the

I'd go with the 1.5 hp models usually rated at about 1000 to 1200 cfm. I ran my planer once with no Dc. Bought one the next week.

It *sounds* like you have the DeWalt DW735 planer? Is that correct?
If so, I've had mine (my DW735) hooked up to a 1HP DC (about 500CFM) and a 1 1/2HP DC (about 900CFM). Both DCs were able to clear the chips.
Yes it is the 735. Today I tried using about 2.5' of rigid 4" duct work with a 90 on either end into a 55 gallon barrel with a mesh bag over the top. Same problem, after 5 or 6 boards the rollers get coated with dust/chips and the board will not feed, it gets so bad that i have to grab the unit and push very hard with my waist on the board to get it through. Then I raise the cutter head, wipe the rollers clean with kerosene on a rag and everything works perfect for a few more boards. I plan on doing my cabinets in kiln dried maple, I hope it works better on that. It must be the pine pitch, the odd board actually has a bit of sticky sap on the ends.

I have the same problem with my Dealt 12.5" too. Everyone mention you needed dust collection (and that maybe so) but did you noticed the first few boards cuts perfectly out of the box without dust collection? The reason is DeWalt's knives doesn't stay sharp, even for soft wood for too long, and when you're produce more dust than chips which results in more stress on the planer, one of the gears will fail - know problem reported on the 13" planer. Cheap knives and you need to keep it sharp, otherwise its a pretty good planer from what I understand.
Two things I could think of for the gouges: If the gouges are continuous, check the knives for nicks. If the gouges appear at the beginning or at the end of the board, you have snipe. You need to lock the head down and perhaps lift the board a little at the end to prevent snipe. You could plan boards way less than <1/4", just use a dummy board below it.
Fred , I had that gear break also, Dewalt gave me another, after a little use it broke also, after waithing to get the gear, I forgot how the chain was supposed to go, so left the cover off to see if the chain was tracking properly, As it was running I noticed that it wobbled, called the Dewalt service center, explained what was going on as i have now had it over a year. they told me it was probably a bent drive roller, took it in an dropped it off and the repaired at no cost, They told me that they had a problem with the feed rollers in more that one model, the feed rollers are all the same Take the little plastc cover off on the side it covers the gear & chain system and turn the unit on if there is a wobble you will have to problem seeing it.
By the way this sucker does blow chips into the next city, I hooked up a hose and put in a board clamped down to a barrel I don't have any problems not using a DC
Good luck, George