plane trade gloat

Page 1 of 2
I have several woodworkers in the underground basement where my shop is. one of the fellow has this bike with him and I offered more as a joke a plane trade for it. well he accepted. three planes. it is a fairly high end bike in the 2000.00 rage when new. I only need it right now for running around from my shop but the price was right.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/bike.jpg
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do that a $250 bike won't?
Rich S.
: >I have several woodworkers in the underground basement where my shop is. one : >of : >the fellow has this bike with him and I offered more as a joke a plane trade : >for : >it. well he accepted. three planes. it is a fairly high end bike in the : >2000.00 : >rage when new. I only need it right now for running around from my shop but : >the : >price was right.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/bike.jpg
: : I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do : that a $250 bike won't? : : Rich S.
Lighter weight, better gearing, smoother action, better braking....the list sort of goes on....

Do you drive a Yugo?
Digger
Digger notes:

No, but IMO, whether the bike costs $250 or $2500, it's going to make your ass hurt, so what's the difference.
Charlie Self
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

responsive. takes very little breaking effort to stop. and it feels good to ride.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rich Stern wrote:

For the first quarter mile, on the flats, nothing. After the first climb the difference between a 30 pound bike and a 20 pound bike starts becoming apparent and should a cheap shifter through a chain when all your weight is on one peddle it'll be all to apparent. When your back starts aching because the bars and head set suck you'll start thinking upgrades.
And if you mountain bike or cyclo cross, titanium is nice.

What does a Unisaw do that a $100 Craftsman saw doesn't?
--randy

Would you like to trade that cow for a few of these colorful beans?
-Jack "be nimble"
(> What does a Knight smoother do that a $15 Borg plane

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote in message

For starters, you couldn't trade it for three of Steve's planes...
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote:

Well, a 250 vs 1000 is a big difference, after that results of extra expendature do not have the same bang for the buck. Now if you are an elite athlete it can matter. Most of us (me too) are not included in the elite case.
Wes
Anyone over 6% body fat should not be wasting money on titanium cycle accessories.