Pink Hammers

Page 3 of 5
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:21:36 -0500, Steve Turner

I reserved the right to swear at him and you're criticizing me for it. Isn't that admonishment a form of attempting to curtail my free speech too?
Like I said, you're trying to have it both ways. Don't you see that point at all?
This is getting ridiculous. I'm done.

<collective sigh of relief>
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:50:56 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Right! Like your collective sigh of relieve is speaking for everyone you pretentious asshole.
Now I'm done and you can have the last word.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:
So wait, you're posting using both snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com AND snipped-for-privacy@no.com reply addresses in the same thread? Why don't you make up your mind so we know who the heck we're talking to?

What? I wasn't the one who told somebody to keep their "BIG MOUTH SHUT". I merely pointed out that yours was dirty; I never suggested you couldn't use it, or that'd I'd punch you out if you did.

No, I'm not, and no I don't. Don't *you* see that being a profane reactionary hot-head just might not be the best way to win over the hearts and minds of others?

Fine.
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:57:02 -0500, Steve Turner

You don't like my cursing and criticize it. I take that as an attempt to curtail my free speech. You don't have to agree with it, you just have to understand that's how I view it.
And, why would I care about winning over the minds of everybody? The only people I care about are the people I respect, who respect me and are my friends. We've earned each other's respect and there's never any cursing or swearing between us because we're honest and forthright with we have to say to each other. We don't have the need to play little word games or try to play innocent in some matter.
It's like you telling me I have to act like a politician. They say what they have to so they appear on the best light when most of us know that every politician bends the truth to some degree. It's part of the job. Maybe you consider that a jaded, cynical point of view, again that's your option.
Fine, you don't agree with some (or all of what I have to say). That's your choice, but please, give me that same choice too.
Lee Michaels wrote:

It does make one wonder what kind of item they would sell to promote awareness of Prostate Cancer?
In addition, what does "Breast Cancer Awareness" have to do with anything productive? Is there anyone in the country that is not "aware" of breast cancer or its consequences?
I recall many years ago a group solicited millions for "AIDS Awareness." They published a slim paperback volume and gave it away at bookstores across the land.
Totally wasted endeavor - even a 1st grader knew the concepts behind that which was published in the book. The project did, however, provide (lucrative) employment to a few dozen people.
In my view, the goal should not be to make everyone (even more) AWARE of breast cancer; the goal should be to CURE it!
Oh, by the way, the five-year survival rate after diagnosis of breast cancer:
U.S. - 83.9% Canada - 82.5% U.K. - 69.8%
This thread has slid out of control We are talking about breast cancer here. Something I think we would be glad to see be cured.
Just because someone doesn't contribute to a particular charity in a way that you might doesn't mean they don't endorse the charity's goal or mission. It also is not cool to swear at him, or to say I would never buy that, donate to that, etc. What people do is there own business. And what people donate or do not donate to is almost always is driven by very personal reasons. As I mentioned I, like almost everyone after a certain age, have / had a family member or close friend effected by cancer. I also, like everyone else, get hit up by everyone for money. And like 99.9% of those that frequent this group if I had lots of money, I would give away lots of money - I don't so I have to choose my charity(s). That doesn't mean I don't wish the (put your charity/cause here) the best of luck. When asked I politely tell them that we are donating our money other places.
That being said about this whole pink hammer debate:
I live in the Boston area and there was a big breast cancer walk this past weekend. Part of the story on the local news was that some survivors are getting sick of the whole "pink" thing. They believe that some companies are using only as a marketing ploy and you are better off to just donate to the charity. Some companies may do that.
There are definately better ways to donate to a cause than buying a product and having some % of the sale go to a cause. But, maybe some person is going into ACE to buy a hammer that will only be used to hang a few pictures and they say "Hey I get a hammer I need and a buck goes to breast cancer research" or maybe that person has a connection to the disease and just feels better by buying that hammer. The only one who knows is that person.
Also, after the purchase is a buck more than the breast cancer research group had before he bought the hammer. After being involved in fundraising for most of my adult life. The saying; "the big donations make the papers, the little ones make the difference" is partly true. Although both are equally important.
Are pink hammers, football cleats, baseball bats, etc. going to help increase awareness and raise more money to help cure this and hopefully / eventually all cancers. I do not know, but those that deal with it everyday seem to think so.
I do know that fighting about it will not.
I have a sorta woodworking question above. Lets deal with that.
This was a long post.
Larry C
"Larry C" wrote

Yep. It isn't just companies seeking to cash on a polically correct movement. It also scumbag profesional "fundraising" organizations that give very little of the money they raise to the charities they supposedly represent.
That said, If I want to donate $15 towards something I will do so directly. Not buy a cheap tool.
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:52:35 -0400, "Larry C"
Maybe not. Most here are men and they are 6X more likely to get prostate cancer than breast cancer. I guess men don't want to be bothered with it, including my father but he died because the cancer spread to his bones. Have you have your PSA test this year?
"Phisherman" wrote:

Two weeks ago, it has become a fall tradition.
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Assume the position".<G>
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Huh? That's not a PSA test. PSA is a blood test.
"J. Clarke" wrote

Now you tell him. Lew obviously has a kinky doctor. <G>
"J. Clarke" wrote:

The PSA is just a prereq for the real exam<G>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You don't want the diddling going on when you discover that both the doctor's hands are on you shoulders.     :~|
"jo4hn" wrote:

That one is so old I kicked the slats out of the cradle the first time I heard it<G>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Last time I heard that one I fell off my dinosaur.

http://www.videosdahora.com.br/Videos-Br/1862/foi-fazer-exame-de-toque-e-ganhou-um-relogio /
I was at Menards tonight, and they were selling pink tool sets "for ladies"---sexist no? They had pink-handled screwdrivers, pink measuring tape, pink levels, etc. Of course, I immediately thought of this thread. There was no mention of breast cancer awareness.
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

Have a friend of mine whose father was a carpenter.
He made gifts for his daughters consisting of a pink wall plaque holdong a pink handled claw hammer, pink handled pliers and a pink handled screw driver.
This was at least 20 years ago.
Lew

Did each daughter get a plaque with a different tool (there's a nice harmony to that...)?
My dad made ladybugs out of bowling ball halfs a year or two before he passed away. He gave me a cheerful-looking one for Christmas. If he had given me a pink hammer I would have looked at him funny! ; )
Bill