picture frame backer boards

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is a bad thing to use 1/4 inch plywood as a backer board in a picture frame. I was told that the wood (the ingrediants in the plywood) can damage photos over a period of time. I also use acid free foamcore backers also. Any opinions on this subject. Thanks.
You were told correctly. The glues used in plywood produce a lot of harmful vapors. Acid free backer board, corrugated, or foamcore are the best choices. Here is where I buy my framing supplies http://www.dickblick.com . Here is their corrugated backer http://www.dickblick.com/zz173/24 /. Do a search for mount board on the site.
Frank

Depends on your meaning of "backer board" It's perfectly reasonable to use it , but the artwork should be mounted on an archival grade matt and this should be separated from the plywood by another backer board of archival grade board (cheap rough grey board is fine - Foamcore is good too, but expensive). Personally I shellac my plywood too.
Read the whole Recollections site - it's an excellent guide. http://amol.org.au/recollections/1/4/06.htm