Phooey!

Well, in a weak moment I signed a purchase order for 6 months of consulting services for my former employer. Transitioning from semi-retired to not-retired-at-all for a while. Gonna have to apply protectant to table tops and stack the lumber pile a little better. The old coot's shop is going to a reduced production line rate.

Hoooowwever - cash for tools!

Reply to
RonB

Just to prove that there is balance in the universe, I start my fulltime retirement TODAY!

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Phooey, Phooey, Phooey!

But Congratulations too. You will love it. I took an early retirement two years ago October and have been employed about 1/2 time doing contract work. Not bad duty because pension plus my contract rate = my original full time salary+. Being self employed I can also find some tax bennies.

Reply to
RonB

Sounds like me, I took early retirement 2 years ago June and love it. In the first year I was called by the company 3 times to come back for various shutdowns, thought about the buyout package and then all the extra tax money I would have to pay to our Canadian government to waste and passed. Moved out of the city to a small town and put 12K in my pocket on the sale of the city house after this one was paid for, (TOOLS) I took up this sawdust making hobby after I retired and wish I had done it 30 years ago. With no mortgage the pension covers expenses plus a little left for toys so I have no desire to go back working for someone else.

Congrats on your retirement you will love it.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Not to mention a very healthy shift in attitude...

Enjoy! TWS

Reply to
TWS

When I had my hip replaced last May I took 90 days off from work. Everyone said I would be bored. Well, bullshit! I loved it and would have hit the trail right then and there permanently if I could afford it. That wasn't an option so back to work I went.

About 6 weeks ago the opportunity came up for me to become a "weekender": making about 90% of my full time salary but only working two 12 hour shifts a week. I took it. Life is pretty damned good these days.

Most of the things that used to upset me at work don't seem to get to me anymore. I only see my boss once a month (at the staff meeting). Hospital administrators are out on the golf course when I'm at work so they can't screw things up when I'm there. Many of the stupidest of the new procedures people with master's degrees think up for us peons to do are only done during the week... when I'm not there. So sad, too bad.

The only negative is that I still have to go in every Saturday and Sunday. Jeez... it's not like they don't know where I live after all these years. I keep trying to get them to just send a check but they seem to want me to come in and piddle around for a bit before they'll pay me. Life just ain't fair sometimes.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Healthy in more ways than one. I am 5'-10" and I left the world of 60 to 90 hour weeks I weighed 208 pounds. Now, at about 6:15 or 6:30 each morning my German Shepard rustles me out of bed and we walk 3 or 4 miles, occasionally

  1. On a lot of days I am on my feet in the shop instead of my butt in an office. I am down to 175 pounds, coffee consumption is down to 1-2 cups vs having a cup attached to my hand. Highest blood pressure check has been around 125/78.

When I do get called in to work special projects I leave the politics to the regulars and just do my job. I know that when the job is finished, I pick up my little bag and walk out of the door. BTW - Overtime is paid now and my base is $25/hr higher than it was before retirement. That in itself helps attitude.

Reply to
RonB

Now that's a success story! Congratulations!

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Well, I took early retirement in '99. It feels soooo goooooood when you stop banging your head against the wall. Blood pressure is down, alcohol consumption is about zip, and you can't even see the flames shooting out of my mouth when I try to explain the facts of life to some fenderhead. Sold the flatlander house and rebuilt a place in the mountains, complete with shop. Life is good. All this and heaven too. Our income is about 1/3 what it was, but then we don't seem to need as much anymore. :-) mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

alcohol consumption is about zip, and you can't even see the flames

*Expletive inserted, exclamation point* And not a single recognition of some of the best "rive bys" seen lately on the Wreck! Tom
Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:23:16 -0600, "RonB" calmly ranted:

I hope you nailed him for at least double your old salary, Ron.

Whatcha gonna buy?

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ill be making more than I was as a regular and will get paid for my overtime too. Get to add on pension too.

I don't have a clue yet, but I love that kind of challenge.

Reply to
RonB

and for the IRS, unfortunately... hey, 6 months is such a small slice out of a life time.. go for it... (I hope they made you an offer you couldn't refuse)

Reply to
mac davis

exactly why I used to prefer swing shift.. (4pm to midnight) the 1st 1/2 hour or so, the big shots with the ties were there, after that it was just do your job well and go home.. no hassles or corporate BS.. much less stress

Reply to
mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:19:20 -0600, "RonB" calmly ranted:

Well done. One Atta Boy comin' your way.

DON'T WE ALL? ;)