PENCIL BOXES

back again... my wife loved the jewelry box i made for her.... she even liked the part where i had borrowed one of her needlepoint projects to cover the lid...
onward....
i want to make her a fancy pencil box for her desk at work.... i have the wood already picked out... black walnut with wavy maple inlay.... and it will have a high gloss finish on it...... the only problem that i am having is the final dimension..... i can't really find plans for a *pencil box* but wondering if 4"(w) x 10" (l) x 2" (h) is a good proportion for a pencil box. i am planning to use barrel hinges.
any suggestions would be accomodated and appreciated
Build a mock up that size, real quick,Pine and brads, and let her take it work for a test drive. Tony D.

liked
wood
have
really
I don't mean this to be a smart aleck answer, but how about measureing a pencil?