Pathetic wood lust moment...

Page 2 of 3

Just so we're both on the same page, there are meant to be counterexamples to the "never damage a musical instrument on purpose". I mean, really, do you ever hear someone say "Wow, could you please play that banjo even louder", or "come closer with those bagpipes please"?
Dave Hinz wrote: ...

Sure do...me! :)
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:52:20 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Me too!
Just remember that Bagpipes were instruments for military bands and can double as an offensive weapon. They are *not* intended to be played indoors. But there is nothing as stirring as a massed pipe band or as melancholy as a lone piper on a distant hill.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Some might say it's an open question as to whether bagpipes and banjos even fall into the category of musical instruments.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:13:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

With respect to the banjo, probably not any of those folks making millions playing bluegrass music which to some of us is the best example of an American music form, just above jazz
Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 3:58pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) says: <snip> I mean, really, do you ever hear someone say "Wow, could youplease play that banjo even louder", or "come closer with those bagpipes please"?
I happen to like both good bagpipe, and banjo, music. I did say "good". You have to put it in the proper perspective. You can always walk away from the bagpipe or banjo. But, consider the times you've been in traffic, windows up, and one of those ricer boys has his "sound system" turned up and that's all you can hear. Or, who parks, and walks away, with his noise maker still on.
Got this from a banjo player-- When can you tell when a banjo has perfect pitch?
When it doesn't hit the sides of the dumpster
More banjo jokes anyone?
Phil at small (vs at large) wrote:

I *think* it was Elton John who compared the sound of a banjo to that of a pair of tin cans and a string rolling down a flight of stairs.
I used to live in Pittsburgh, which has several long (~1 mile) tunnels with major highways going through them. When you are driving through one and someone else has his radio booming out, everything vibrates. The first time I experienced it, I wondered what was going on - earthquake? If you want to disassemble something "musical" do one of those. Steve
(Dave Hinz) says: <snip> I mean, really, do you ever hear someone say "Wow, could youplease play that banjo even louder", or "come closer with those bagpipes please"?
I happen to like both good bagpipe, and banjo, music. I did say "good". You have to put it in the proper perspective. You can always walk away from the bagpipe or banjo. But, consider the times you've been in traffic, windows up, and one of those ricer boys has his "sound system" turned up and that's all you can hear. Or, who parks, and walks away, with his noise maker still on.

Heh. Actually, I've been doing folk music for a couple of decades. Never did the accordian thing, but I'm guilty of most of the others.
Dave Hinz

I'll see you bagpipes and banjo, and raise you an 8-year-old's "drum set".
Fri, Feb 11, 2005, 12:02am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (RobertBonomi) says: <snip> an 8-year-old's "drum set". Damn straight. Disassemble it, along with the person who gave it.
Well that depends on the 8 year old. My kid has been wailing out amazing rhythms since about that age. He's 12 now.
<snip> an 8-year-old's "drum set". Damn straight. Disassemble it, along with the person who gave it.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:53:18 -0800, the inscrutable "wch"

No, give it back to the person who gave it as a gift, but leave it in one piece. Remember to stick it "where the sun don't shine." They WON'T do that again.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

You'll note, the original poster did say *musical* instruments. ;-) (ducking and running)
Dave Hinz wrote:

If I could afford one, I'd *own* a banjo.

What state are you in? I've got one I don't use. Fairly crappy but playable. Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Virginia.

And here I though you and I were in the same state ...
... the state of confusion!
my mistake.
Rick
Andy Dingley wrote: