Parts help

I'd like to ask you all for a little help if I could. I feel almost guilty asking for help when I haven't been very active in the group for a while, but between work and real life, I haven't had much time, but anyway . . .

As some of you might know I teach HS woodshop. We have an old bandsaw, about 17 years old or so. Anyway, it's Powermatic Model 81. It's a good, powerful saw, but the brake shoe (part 3725002) gave up the ghost. It is beyond repair. I was on the line with Powermatic this morning and they told me the part is "obsolete." The only thing that they could suggest was to go to a machine shop and get one custom made or find an old parts dealer. I have made all the calls that I could to suppliers that I know, but have had no success in finding this part. I was hoping that one of you might know of where I could get a hold of this part, or even perhaps might have this item laying around somewhere (if you are like I am and save piles of stuff because it might come in handy some day) and could help me out. Obviously I could run the saw without the brake, but I like to keep my machines (well, actually the school's machines) in proper shape. If it comes with a brake it should have a brake.

So, if any of you fine gentlemen could give me a lead I would greatly appreciate it. You can post any reply here, or if you prefer you could e-mail me. What ever is more convenient for you. My e-mail is: Golf, Kilo, Romeo, Alpha, India, Golf, at India, X-ray, dot netcom.com. (damn spam bots)

Thanks in advance, Glen

( I posted this message in ABPW as well, but did not cross post)

Reply to
Glen

You might consider using a piece of oak for a brake shoe... seems to me that the San Francisco trolley cars still use wooden brake shoes...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

but the brake shoe (part 3725002) gave up the ghost. =EF=BF=BDIt is

but I like to keep my machines (well,

Glen

I would take what is left and go to a brake shoe reliner and let him handle the problem.

Page 3410 of the current McMaster-Carr catalog also has a nice selection of brake shoe lining. "mcmaster.com" is their web site address.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Reply to