Panel Expansion Allowance

Page 2 of 2

Width and length of the panel are not too critical as long as you are close. The tightness I am talking about is the thickness of the panel going into the slot.
Also if the panel goes into the slot too far and the raised profile begins to go into the slot this can be a problem also. Basically you only want the "flat thin outer edge" of the panel to go into the slot. If the raised part of the panel profile is starting to go into the slot the panel is too wide or long.
I can draw a you a picture on a PDF file if you like.

I do the calculations referenced in another posting in this thread, but don't use spaceballs. I use brads and pin the panel with wire brads top and bottom in the center from behind. So far, so good.
For nails, use 1/8" for width. With space balls, use 1/2" for width (and height). Using nails would allow the panel to tuck in more.
Chuck

Oh, really? Suppose you have a panel of flatsawn white oak, 12" wide. An increase in moisture content from 8% to 12% (easily the result of the difference between winter and summer humidity) will cause that panel to expand in width by almost 3/16". If you allowed only 1/8" for expansion... you have a problem.

You can't use any arbitrary figure, without taking into account the width of the panel, the species of wood, and whether it's flat- or quarter-sawn.
The jury says I am guilty :) I did review a little on the link you provided. This is my last week of finals, so I am kinda rushing.
I really need to (and want to) study this part. Thanks for correction.
Chuck