Panel Closet Doors

I built a closet upstairs in my bungalow home. It's on one side with a four foot knee wall and the rest of the wall angles towards center, as most bungalows do. Therefore, I built the closets with a door height of

5 feet, long enough for three sections with intentions of installing bi-fold doors. One section is a 5 foot wide opening(two 2.5 ft bi-folds), the next is four foot(two 2 foot bi-folds) and the last is three(two 1.5 foot bi-folds). Ideally, I would like the doors to be raised panel, but these are not standard size and thus, must be made. I would like to attempt that, unfortunately, I don't own a raised panel router bit set and not ready to fork over the type of money required for a set.

Is there another method to making raised panel doors? Is it as good as doing with a router bit set? Any other options anyone can offer other than pay someone to make them? BTW, the option to pay someone is a consideration but I don't know what a reasonable cost would be, other than the cost of the wood, but uncertain of labor cost. Help on that is also appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

If you can't afford $25-$35 for a raised panel bit you sure wouldn't want to hire it done.

For that matter, you don't need a special bit to raise a panel...you can do so with a straight or mortising bit, the wider the better. Of course, that gives you a right angle which - IMO - is not unattractive; moreover, that right angle can be modified with a core, cove, "V" or round over bit. If you want a slope on the horizontal portion, rout out less and use a hand plane or make a simple jig for a router so that the work van be tilted slightly. You can also raise a panel on a saw.

But perhaps you were thinking of cope and stick bits for the frame? They are a bit pricier but not all that much. And if simple is OK, it is easy to do them on a saw or (router table with simple straight bits) making T&G. If you don't like the square look, the edges can be shaped with a router bit, stopping before the corners...that used to be very common. It also used to be fairly common to continue the profile into the corners by hand.

Reply to
dadiOH

Table saw. This simple explanation

is doing it on a drawer front so it has some dovetails cut in already but explains the process nicely regardless.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Sure just cut them on the tablesaw. Simple and effective. Just do a google search on cutting raised panels on ts... many youtube I am sure.

Reply to
woodchucker

Obviously I haven't viewed other sites. The sets I saw were minimum of $150 for three bit set consisting of the raised bit, stile and rail bits, as you mentioned. I was also viewing Freuds, Whiteside and other more popular sets since I am under the impression those are the best brands and if I spend money, I like things to last.

I'll have to view more or consider the link you provided as I'm now intrigued.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

I agree in general purpose with what your saying about usage vs cost but if your talking large diameter router bits you want to consider the shrapnel effect if the cheap one comes apart.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

----------------------------------------------------------- Gain an appreciation for flat panel doors and the whole discussion becomes moot.