Painting NEW cabinets

We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a desk. The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the wood doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid maple cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few people about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried two different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond and then paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24 hours, the primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried #2 - Sand the surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we got the same results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger nail.
Are we being too hopeful or anxious in our attempts to make sure the paint stays affixed to the doors? We are planning on putting on a enamel black finish.
Can anyone help with this endeavor?
Thanks Ken

Maybe the problem is that you trying to put a latex finish over an oil finish. That usually results in the latex finish peeling off. I think there is a particular type of primer that you use for this scenerio.
Mike
Mike Lewis wrote:

starting with a coarser grit, then going back with the 220 before priming.

Even the place that we got down to what we believed was bare wood scraped off. :(
avallk wrote:

I'd say either you are scraping too hard, or there is something wrong with the primer. I'd try a different type just to be on the safe side, making sure it is recommended for use on bare wood.

I don't believe it was Latex as we had to use mineral spirits to clean the gun and our hands.