Painting NEW cabinets

We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a desk. The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the wood doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid maple cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few people about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried two different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond and then paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24 hours, the primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried #2 - Sand the surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we got the same results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger nail.

Are we being too hopeful or anxious in our attempts to make sure the paint stays affixed to the doors? We are planning on putting on a enamel black finish.

Can anyone help with this endeavor?

Thanks Ken

Reply to
avallk

Maybe the problem is that you trying to put a latex finish over an oil finish. That usually results in the latex finish peeling off. I think there is a particular type of primer that you use for this scenerio.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lewis

That could be the problem. Or you could sand a little more thoroughly, starting with a coarser grit, then going back with the 220 before priming.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

I don't believe it was Latex as we had to use mineral spirits to clean the gun and our hands.

Reply to
avallk

Even the place that we got down to what we believed was bare wood scraped off. :(

Reply to
avallk

If you are really down to bare wood and the primer still scrapes off, I'd say either you are scraping too hard, or there is something wrong with the primer. I'd try a different type just to be on the safe side, making sure it is recommended for use on bare wood.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958