oversize mailing box blues

On one occassion, a while ago, at work, we watched the TNT guy kick our packages off the back of his truck onto the ground.

We had a secure compound, remotely operated electric gates to let him him. We watched on the security cameras as he drove round to the delivery door. He arrived before our member of staff cound walk through the building to the door and kicked the parcels off the truck.

You need good packing!

Reply to
Stuart

You should post that on YouTube and post the URL for it here...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"Swingman" wrote

Does that stuff actually work for you?

I am one of those unfortunate bastards that has minimal effects from drugs. Particularly pain meds. It helps a little. But not that much. If it works for you, that is a good thing. I am always amazed when I find somebody who has a simple solution to a problem. Even Aleve.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote

I remember things I used to do as a teenager. If I tried those things today, I would die. You got a few years on me. But the aging process is alive and well in me. And as smart as I used to be when doing physical things, I am even smarter today.

Eggs zactly. I know of what you speak.

I was always the problem solver when it came to moving things or getting things done. It just kills me to stand around and wait for a younger person to assist. Hey, I am smarter than them. Why do I need to wait on them?

It is enough to make you a curmudgeon. Now that I think of it, how many young curmudgeons are there out there? Damn. I had an original thought there. Not to worry, I will forget it by tomorrow.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm like you, most thing don't work, but Naproxen does. Too damn bad the side effects will kill you. It figures ...

I've got a high pain threshold, so I use it sparingly, but DAMN, it sure is nice to be able to put a shop apron on just once in a while without crying ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

"Stuart" wrote

A large pharmaceutical company shipped cough syrup in 4 liter glass bottles, much going by that big parcel carrier. Periodically they had shipments with a lot of breakage. Losses were in the thousands of dollars each time. After months of investigating a group of people representing the drug company, transit company, box maker, foam pack maker piled in a car and followed a shipment from plant to destination. Sure enough, they got to the terminal where the boxes came down a conveyer and were sorted by a guy wearing steel tipped work boots.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I order parts for my job and often get a kick out of how stuff comes packed. I never understand when I order one part, that comes well packed in it's own corrugated box , and it shows up packed into a larger box. For god's sake! Just stick a label on the box and ship the damn thing!

Reply to
Greg O

If a recording was available I would have done by now!

Reply to
Stuart

Consider that shipping containers under a certain size are more easily be misplaced or hidden behind other larger objects. I think the over sized containers help the shipper keep track of you shipment.

Back when I was in the automotive industry GM had a part that was a rare earth magnet that was about the size of a pencil lead about 1/4" long. It came in a box that would have held thousands but had it been placed in an adequately sized box you would have needed a powerful magnifying glass to see the part # on the box.

We did a lot of shipping and found that small parts had less problems getting to their destinations when their shipping containers were a certain size or larger. We seemed to have less calls from customers to located a shipment when we used more "visible" containers. Basically parts shipped in minimal sized boxes tended to take longer to get to where they were going. IIRC we tracked a part that went thousands of miles to get to its 120 mile destination and took 2-3 days. Larger packages to the same destination were routinely delivered the next day.

While most of our shipments were stock orders and were shipped on pallets or large boxes those small packages were typically single parts that the customer needed quickly and typically were less profitable for us because it was a single item being shipped. When the item got routed wrong or lost, it cost us even more time and money to track and or reship the part again.

So yes the larger container does waist more packaging material and is not considered to some as being "green" but it is also not green to have to reship or track a lost order or use special handling on physically smaller items.

Reply to
Leon

When Swingman first got the Festool saw he and I tried it out. It is cool. Mostly quiet and very little dust with the Festool vac attached. As for it's best use I would not say that it would replace a TS, but both would be nice. The Festool saw really comes in handy when needing to cut up large panels. Certainly easier for one person to cut up a 3/4" sheet of plywood accurately than using a TS for the task. The TS would do a better job ac cutting small and short pieces.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Not much waste if you recycle that box or, better is to re-use it if possible.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mail goes (mainly) by weight, not size. If you mail a Helium-filled ballon, the postal service will pay you.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is the government. They should like negative numbers.

Reply to
krw

Saw a wonderful TV segment once. The producers mailed all kinds of stuff (much had to be left on the post office loading dock with no return address). Everything had the appropriate postage and a valid address. The things included:

  • A set of deer antlers.
  • A single snow ski.
  • A bottle of water.
  • A small clear plastic box containing a tooth.
  • Can of beer.
  • A John Deere gimmie cap.
  • A single tennis shoe.
  • A two-foot 2x4.
  • A brick.
  • A plastic trash-bag containing leaves.

Most of it got delivered. The bottle of water was drunk by the postman.

Reply to
HeyBub

Small boxes get lost in machines. The boxes used from various larger shippers are standard sizes for the machines in the sorting center.

Odd stuff and small stuff gets hand sorted - someday.

Look at the express mail boxes - 12x12x and 11x17x and such. Their general mass will respond to movers on the path - routing it left or right from the main.

I send a 12x12 box that was 40#'s flat rate. It gets across the country in 2 days and delivered in 2 or 3 days for a total of 2-3 days.

Mart> mac davis wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Actually we NEVER purchased boxes for shipping, we reused everything including pallets for all of our shippments. The only thing we purchased for shipping were shipping labels and shrink wrap.

Reply to
Leon

When I order delicate items I expect the original box will be shipped inside an outer box with packing in between. This will keep it safe from many hazards such as sharp edges that cut into the outer box or corners that are crushed.

When I am reselling the item, and it comes in a printed box with description and pictures on the outside, I do not want shipping labels slapped on the box and shipped as is, I want it packed inside an outer box so that the customer doesn't see the shipping labels, scratches, cuts and crushed corners that show up on the outer box.

Reply to
EXT