Outdoor Wood Storage Question

I am about to receive a large number of 2x4's and 2x6's and have no indoor storage. Is it necessary to to cover the wood with a tarp? Or is it better to build a small structure to keep the wood dry? If I need to build a structure can it be an open wall design with just a roof?

Thanks

Reply to
mikek

Most or many lumber yards store that type material outdoors elevated off the ground so that air can circulate with only a covering roof to keep "most" the rain off.

Reply to
Leon

More than you ever wanted to know.

the page
the ground at least 6" and stickered for drainage. If they're for construction, and it's a year or less, let 'em drain on their own, else slanted roof of plastic or sheetmetal to shed the weather.

Reply to
George

I keep seeing this word used in this NG. What is "stickered"?

Gerry < feeling foolish >

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:26:08 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y." calmly ranted:

After sawing a green (freshly felled) log into lumber, the pieces have to be separated from each other in order to dry without rot. Stickering is layering the lumber with small sticks between them so they dry evenly, flat, and rot-free.

Gerry < feeling foolish >

Larry

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Gerry, Stickers are square sticks placed between the layers of lumber to allow for air flow. They need to be placed about every couple of feet so the boards won't bow. The boards should also be spaced a little between for even drying. Also, dead piled (no sticks) will stain the lumber. After the lumber is dried, you want it dead piled to reduce the chance of the lumber picking up moisture.

Reply to
Jana