OT: Vancouver, BC Help

Page 2 of 3

Michael Daly said:

Yes, I noticed the vastly differing terrain. With the mountains and ocean and winds and variety of temperature/climate zones, it's bound to be interesting... Of course, there is the old (reputedly Chinese) series of curses to consider:
1- May you live in interesting times. 2 - May you come to the attention of those in authority. 3 - May you find what you are looking for.
If that is the case, I am truly doomed. <g>

Was thinking it was more than that, but exporting beats importing.

As with all things in life. It was intended mostly as humor. :-\ But it really is a serious issue - being trapped in a snow drift till spring could be hazardous to your health. And those evil mooses...

Uh, oh - first it was East vs. West, now it's Canadian SPF wars. I think I read something about that a while ago - Some mention was made of a Canadian invasion to promote regime change. <g>
Thanks

Yes. It's been 14 years since I lived in Vancouver but I believe it's no private sectore competition for basic auto insurance, but a provincial agency. This may have changed.
The DGG entity posted thusly:

Sure is!

I don't know if they are actually dominant now, but the areas I mentioned have a lot of Asians. Burnaby and Richmond have many Chinese immigrants, and Surrey and South Vancouver have a lot of East Indians. You'll not need to learn Cantonese or Hindi, but the subculture is rich in Asiatic languages, shops, restaurants, etc.

Yes. You can buy additional coverage beyond the mandatory basic stuff from ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC), or through a private company, but the basic is all ICBC.

Still legal, I'm afraid.

Not correct.

Dave Broadfoot said it best.
Yer east hates yer west, and yer west hates yer east, and the only thing holding the country together is that everyone hates yer Tronna.*
*"Tronna" - Toronto.
I see someone else has pointed out that there are two Lee Valley Tool outlets there. I only know of the one in South Vancouver. Go early, unless you want to have to buy low numbers from the scalpers. :-)
On 22/05/2006 5:10 PM, Oleg Lego wrote:

Speaking of which, I finally made it to the new downtown Tronna store on Saturday and was astounded to see that aside from me, there were only 2 or 3 other customers in the store. I've seen a fair number of them, including Vancouver, London, other Tronna, and the various incarnations in Ottawa, and I've never seen that few people on a Saturday afternoon. Buying low numbers from scalpers is the norm. Kinda sad, I sure hope it picks up a bit.

That part of downtown is never busy on a weekend. Don't complain - it beats lineups!
Mike
Michael Daly said:

Hear, hear!
On 22/05/2006 8:45 PM, Michael Daly wrote:

2 blocks east sure is.

:-) Yeah, too bad I was just there to have a look around. Actually came out empty-handed, which is unusual!

[list snipped]
Did you check the official web sites thoroughly enough to find out if you will be able to move to Canada? Under what category can you apply? Skilled Worker? Investor? Have you done a self-evaluation to make sure you have enough points?
Bill said:

I do a self-evaluation every morning - it's a sad thing to behold. <g>
As for the skills aspect, I've been a mechanic, plumber, electrician, computer programmer (ASM/C/JAVA), web designer, electronics technician, digital design, shop manager, pseudo lawyer and general all around pain in the arse.
And if all else fails, I'll marry a native.
LOL
DGG wrote:

With a fun attitude like that you should have a ball!!

Just as long as he doesn't run into Jimmy at the post office. Should that happen, I suspect he'll be moving back to the good ole' USA mighty quick. ~ to maintain his sanity and all that good stuff.
:)
Upscale said:

Jimmy who?
Eddie Munster said:

Was that double entendre intentional? <g>

I've read all your posts in this thread, and you sound like quite a lively character who could make his way anywhere on this Earth. But will all due respect, you should be paying more attention to the requirements of formal immigration than to the rules governing amateur radio. You will have to satisfy Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and if you can't muster up enough points, you won't get in. Right now, the bar is quite low - 67 points. A few years ago it was (I think) 75. If you are between 67 and 75 points you should get an application in right away if this is what you want to do, because the visa posts are swamped with applications, and the waiting times are being measured in years. The pass mark is certain to be raised again. Another place you might try for more information - britishexpats.com. There are some Canada-specific discussion forums there. Good luck.

More like a 60 yr old man in a dress with handcuffs and a little axle grease.
Mike
Michael Daly said:

I suspect there were a few of those as well... Hell, for that matter, there is a crop of those here - along with the damned ugliest, redneck females I have ever seen.
But I do believe I can tell the difference between a 32 year old female and a perv in drag...

Optimist :-)
You've never been to Vancouver (or Toronto, or New York...)
Mike
Michael Daly said:

Been to SF, LA, NY, the border towns of TX/Mexico and grew up in Atlanta. I've seen Rupaul perform at Weekends, he/she/it being one of the more famous mid-town drag queens from Atlanta. The younger sister was a bartender downtown for many years. There are a lot of trans types here, and have been since I was a kid.
Besides, a man would have great difficulty emulating the petite women I prefer. But, at last resort, there is always the Crocodile Dundee method. Grab 'em in the crotch to confirm that, at least, they aren't sporting the equipment... ;-)
Had an idiot friend who, many years ago, picked up a hooker downtown. Turned out to be a drag queen - tried to cut off what little manhood he possessed with a razor blade. Not quite sure how he escaped intact, but in retrospect, it is unfortunate that he did. Yea, dumb old Rick sure turned out to be one sorry-ass tool.
And since this is _well_ off topic, I'll stop now... :-)

Hah! Try that on Church Street in Toronto and be prepared for the entire street to come out and beat the crap out of you.

Toronto the weird - the churches are on Queen street and the queens are on Church street.
Mike