OT - Two things ...

Page 2 of 2
Swingman said:

Yeah, if this were being constructed, it could be dealt with much easier.

Yes, but not worth the labor involved at this late date. See notes above - below - sideways... ;-)

Looks like a quiet, functional system but don't think it'll fly for this job. You should have seen the look when the price was mentioned. But you can guarantee if I ever get around to building my own house, all of these types of things will be considered. Including raceways for access to plumbing/electrical/CATV/CAT5/Intercom/Hi-Fi.
Sorry to hijack your thread, Swing.
Now to top it off, it is snowing here! Took me 40 minutes to go 2 miles from the hardware store. I really hate cities...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Might make a good intercom system as well. I once bought a house with a vent hood over the stove. I could see the vent in the roof. But in the attic there was nothing going to the roof vent. They had piped the vent hood into the boxing over the cabinets and forgot it. The house was about 15 years old. When I cut a hole and connected the pipe to the roof vent the vent hood worked much better.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross said:

Yeah, that's why I looked for a swept collector. Just like your automotive exhaust pipe headers...

Funny how that vent thing works out. eh? They generally work better when hooked up. Unfortunately, they didn't install outside vents, and retrofitting cornice or wall vents would require ripping out the interior ceilings for access. The ceilings have some weird-ass texture that was manually applied with a 6-lobed sponge tool that no one sells anymore, and blending in repairs is difficult - been there, done that. Even then, there isn't room for a cornice vent, and the ceiling joists are only 2x4s and feed directly into the soffit. The only options are eave vents or roof vents - and the only thing the BORGs sell are dryer-like 4" wall vents. They ran all the real builder supply stores out of business, and you can't get anything around here anymore unless it is a top 500 seller. Like a vent assist fan for HVAC ductwork - which was also improperly designed and installed. I've never seen anyone install 4" heating ducts on a 20' run to two remote bedrooms before. Rooms which, incidentally, freeze in the winter and smolder in the summer. Egads - I thought they had software for modeling this - I do.
The problem with the vents is that in winter the "air beaters" move hot, moist air from the baths into the attic where it immediately condenses the moisture onto the ceiling and insulation. Additionally, they covered the fans, and vent connections, with blown in loose-fill insulation, so it's a soggy, black mess.
And then there is the pile of 2x4s I picked up while installing more 6.5" roll fibreglass insulation. The attic had 2.5 - 3" of blown in loose-fill - in places. And no existing vapor barrier, either. The pile of 2x4s were supposed to be a nailing flange for the bathroom ceiling around a stub wall. I counted 26 odd nails, and not one hit anything but air. Just a pile of debris. Sheese...
I don't know what these people had in mind when they built this shit, but I'm sure increased "return on investment" was the primary motivating force behind this development project. 20 years old and crumbling fast. You should see the house next door. Woodpeckers living in the rotten parts and the guy ignores it. Damned McMansions. My first house was built in the early 60s, was only 960 sq. ft., and yet it was built like a tank. Hardwood floors, ductile iron sewers, actual diagonal plank sheathing.
But that's progress...
Greg G.

The NFL is interesting exactly because it is a monkey see, monkey do league. When one team has a great idea, it's quickly adapted by each team that sees it as a fit. In order to differentiate themselves, teams are forced to be innovative because the competition quickly catches up. So-n-so's doing a silent snap count with their leg? Great idea! And it is, really. When a team is on the road, a visual clue to the center is more reliable than an audible one.
"Jeff" wrote

Ever had a football helmet on?
Great theory ... as long as linemen/centers have eyes in the back of their head. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07