OT: This Old House homeowner's profession?

Page 1 of 2

Sorry for the off-topic subject, but I figure there are a lot of TOH watchers on rec.woodworking, so maybe y'all won't mind.
I've googled, but would really like to know what the homeowner (George Mabry) on the recent Cambridge series does (or did) for a living. Every time we see the show, we can't believe how much they've got to be spending... And, even in Cambridge, whether he'll recoup his investment on resale.
Not trying to be critical, mostly I'm just jealous (although modern architecture doesn't appeal to me).
Thanks, Heath
Best I can find is "biotech bachelor"...
Mike Brown
Heath Roberts wrote:

Heath Roberts writes:
>Sorry for the off-topic subject, but I figure there are a lot of TOH >watchers on rec.woodworking, so maybe y'all won't mind. > >I've googled, but would really like to know what the homeowner (George >Mabry) on the recent Cambridge series does (or did) for a living.
Whatever it is, it creates a revenue stream sufficient to fund the project.
Lew
My favorite was one where at 360 thou, they were slightly "over budget".
When you consider that on one house that they did, one bathroom came in at $24,000, $360,000 don't sound too bad for an entire house.
The amounts of money that are spent on these houses is beyond anything most people can imagine.
Tom Silva and the boys must all be millionaires at this point.
John wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

I drove by the place this afternoon on my way home from Rockler. It doesn't look quite finished yet. Mostly landscaping undone.
I peeked into the back yard to see if it was flooded (we've had about 20" of rain in the last month.) It looked very green and wet (the part I could see from the street, but not flooded. (They spent a lot of time on the show and a lot of money worrying about drainage. I guess it worked.)
It appears to be one of the smaller and probably cheaper houses in the neighborhood. I would guess most of them are in the $1.5-$2 million range. (Maybe a lot more.) West Cambridge is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive urban areas in the country.
I wonder if they'll ever again do a house a normal family can afford?
--
John

<<I wonder if they'll ever again do a house a normal family can afford?>>
Their next project is renovations on both units of a two family house (owned by a mother and daughter) in East Boston with $250,000 as the total budget. As with the Washington, DC project, they consider a quarter million dollars to be a bare bones budget (it's significantly more than my entire house is worth) and will treat this as an exercise in penny pinching.
Lee

_________________________________

Depends on where you live. Move my house about 35 miles and I can get $100k more for it. Move it to Boston and I can get $250k more for it and build two more like it on the same lot size I have now and get that much for each. .
Heath Roberts wrote:

Define investment. If you mean will the improvement cost fetch as much at the time of sale, including whatever interest he would have accrued on the money, no. Not even close. I'm sure that the house will sell for a premium just because it is now a "famous" house, and I'm sure George will get lots of mileage out of his 15 minutes of fame.
Instead of being jealous of a guy who's simply pouring money into a house, how about being jealous of a guy who sold software he didn't own to IBM, then went out and bought it at a bargain from the guy who developed the software, then proceded to amass the single largest fourtune of our age. He also poured money into his house, so that's a bonus. ;)
On 6/7/2006 9:35 PM RicodJour mumbled something about the following:

He didn't even purchase it from the developer, he purchased it from an OEM licensee.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn wrote:

From whom was it licensed?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I've watched a few episodes. Last one I saw they were applying stone facade on a poured concrete wall. The stone was imported from Croatia. IIRC, it was a 42k job.
I guess he just has a bunch of money and wants what he wants.

facade
42 grand for a pile of Yugoslavian rocks. I wonder how much of the cost was postage?
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
I don't know why, but this last season prompted the same questions in my head. Perhaps it was because everything kinda seemed like cost was no object. My theory at the time was that he inherited some $$$. But I have nothing to back that up.
Whatever the source, it was an interesting season.
Heath Roberts wrote:

I have the same sort of questions about "Holmes on Homes". He typically arrives at a house where the homeowners have been taken for a very expensive ride by shyster contractors. Then he proceeds to demolish and rebuild everything in sight in the most expensive way available. My question is, who is paying for all this? If it's the homeowners, I can't figure out how they do it.
- Owen -

I wonder with all the rain and flooding we've had up here the last month and that house being at the bottom of bowl whether whatever they did for drainage worked.
-Leuf

Strange thing about having money. People resent you for having it or criticize you for spending it. Sometimes in the same post. Some primary candidate for president a few years back put it pretty well when he said he's never been employed by a poor man. Let's just say he's a developer who gives employment to contractors.
Makes no difference either way, I guess. Just another one of those "rich" folks indulging himself with his house rather than soaking up a couple of beers at the tavern.

Well said- if everyone was a DIY sorta person, I'd have a real hard time paying the morgage. I'm really glad there are rich folks who want to pay someone else to play around with wood and mud.

IMHO a pathetic series. IIRC the home owner did nothing as far as sweat equity is concerned.

Since when have any of the home owners done any "sweat equity" on the show? The only time I've ever seen them do any work it's pretty obvious that it was simply posing for the camera crew.
It's not a do it yourself show, never was, never will be.
The spinoff, "ask this old house" is much more do-it yourself oriented. Even Norm's show is more hands on.
If the homeowners want to spend hundreds of thousands of their money on their own homes, I say let them, at least they're employing some local tradespeople.
I'm reminded of a photography shoot I worked on out in Palm Desert a few years ago, we were there just to shoot the neon lighting that had been installed in the house, well over $100,000.00 worth. The construction foreman had been gainfully employed for over 5 years, building and then rebuilding the place as the owner's kept changing their minds about what they wanted. It kept his family fed, the owners got what they wanted and it was their own money being spent, a win/win/win.
John E.