OT--The Serious Side of George Carlin

(His wife recently died...)

--
Bob Schmall
Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.
It's amazing how you get a sense when something is a big load of BS. I had a feeling that there was no way in hell that George Carlin wrote this, and by golly, I was right. You can check it out at http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp . The true author is Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle's Overlake Christian Church.
todd

Todd...thanks. Having read a couple of Carlin's books, I found this hard to swallow as his too. Following your link further led me to Carlin's quote regarding this piece which is called "The Paradox of Our Time.":
"...One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of shit called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a shit? Certainly not me. ..."
lmao, Myx

He didn't write that, but ol' George is no dummy, either. He's a Yale graduate.
Barry
in message

Looks like that might be some more BS. The closest I can find that Carlin came to graduating from Yale is that he performed his standup routine there at least once. His bio on MSN says that he dropped out of high school to join the Air Force at 17. None of this means that Carlin is stupid. I just never saw him as being one to voice the sentiments that he was erroneously ascribed to.
todd

Wait a minute. Which George are we talking about now? :)
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:31:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

George Carlin left the Air Force in 1968 or 1969. I have a friend who knew him personally back then, and he seriously doubts George went to college in his late 20's. And, he is a class-A potty mouth.
George got out no later than 1957. As a somewhat humorous aside, while he was in the Air Force he managed to get a job with a local (Florida) radio station. All was well until he decided to roast the CO. After that he couldn't seem to get off base for his radio shows.
I haven't seen him since the early '80s but he was a bundle of laughs then and fun to be with. I'm sorry to hear about his wife, he was devoted to her.
RB
Phisherman wrote:

(snip)
We might remember George for his "seven dirty words" monologue, but our kids will remember him as the gentle station master or conductor in "Shining Time Station". Quite the opposite reputation.
Michael

brought forth from the murky depths:

Awwwwww! Give a curmudgeon a break, huh?
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:11:10 GMT, Larry Jaques

here's a bit of irony....
if carlin could prove that moorehead attributed the quote to him.... he could sue for defamation of character <G>
forth from the murky depths:

True. What a hoot!
I hold George Carlin in high esteem and use the 7-words- you-can't-say-on-television loud and often, especially when I'm in the shop for some reason. ;)
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
That's okay Bob, it still is a good message.
Preston

Even if it was penned by someone who sexually molested 17 people (if snopes.com is to be believed)? How's that for a paradox?

As a long-time fan of George's I had serious doubts about the authenticity of this piece. When's the last time anyone heard Carlin say the world needed more prayer? For that matter, when's the last time you heard hime advocate religion of any kind?

TexasFireGuy wrote:

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."
- George Carlin
RB
todd wrote:

The giveaway was the chain letter clause: