OT--The Serious Side of George Carlin

(His wife recently died...)

> Isn't it amazing that George Carlin - gross and > mouthy comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write > something so very eloquent ...and so very> > appropriate post 9-11. > > A wonderful Message by George Carlin: > > The paradox of our time in history is that we have > taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider > freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, > but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have > bigger houses and smaller families, more > conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees > but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, > more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but > less wellness. > > We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too > recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get > too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read > too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. > We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our > values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate > too often. > > We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. > We've added years to life not life to years. We've > been all the way to the moon and back, but have > trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. > We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've > done larger things, but not better things. > We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. > We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We > write more, but learn less. We plan more, but > accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to > wait. We build more computers to hold more > information, to produce more copies than ever, but > we communicate less and less. > These are the times of fast foods and slow > digestion, big men and small character, steep > profits and shallow relationships. These are the > days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier > houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick > trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one > night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do > everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a > time when there is much in the showroom window and > nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can > bring this letter to you, and a time when you can

choose either to share this insight, or to just hit

delete. > > Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, > because they are not going to be around forever. > Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to > you in awe, because that little person soon will > grow up and leave your side. > Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you,

because that is the only treasure you can give with

your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.> > Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and > your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and > an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep > inside of you. > > Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for > someday that person will not be there again. > Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time > to share the precious thoughts in your mind. > > AND ALWAYS REMEMBER: > > Life is not measured by the number of breaths we > > take, but by the moments that take our breath away. > > >

George Carlin

Reply to
Bob Schmall

It's amazing how you get a sense when something is a big load of BS. I had a feeling that there was no way in hell that George Carlin wrote this, and by golly, I was right. You can check it out at

The true author is Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle's Overlake Christian Church.

todd

Reply to
todd

Todd...thanks. Having read a couple of Carlin's books, I found this hard to swallow as his too. Following your link further led me to Carlin's quote regarding this piece which is called "The Paradox of Our Time.":

"...One of the more embarrassing items making the internet/e-mail rounds is a sappy load of shit called "The Paradox of Our Time." The main problem I have with it is that as true as some of the expressed sentiments may be, who really gives a shit? Certainly not me. ..."

lmao, Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

He didn't write that, but ol' George is no dummy, either. He's a Yale graduate.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I stand corrected, but I also stand with whoever wrote that. Carlin's comments are vile.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

We might remember George for his "seven dirty words" monologue, but our kids will remember him as the gentle station master or conductor in "Shining Time Station". Quite the opposite reputation.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

As a long-time fan of George's I had serious doubts about the authenticity of this piece. When's the last time anyone heard Carlin say the world needed more prayer? For that matter, when's the last time you heard hime advocate religion of any kind?

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

Looks like that might be some more BS. The closest I can find that Carlin came to graduating from Yale is that he performed his standup routine there at least once. His bio on MSN says that he dropped out of high school to join the Air Force at 17. None of this means that Carlin is stupid. I just never saw him as being one to voice the sentiments that he was erroneously ascribed to.

todd

Reply to
todd

The giveaway was the chain letter clause:

Reply to
Silvan

Wait a minute. Which George are we talking about now? :)

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:51:35 GMT, "Bob Schmall" brought forth from the murky depths:

Awwwwww! Give a curmudgeon a break, huh?

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's okay Bob, it still is a good message.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Even if it was penned by someone who sexually molested 17 people (if snopes.com is to be believed)? How's that for a paradox?

Reply to
George

George Carlin left the Air Force in 1968 or 1969. I have a friend who knew him personally back then, and he seriously doubts George went to college in his late 20's. And, he is a class-A potty mouth.

Reply to
Phisherman

here's a bit of irony....

if carlin could prove that moorehead attributed the quote to him.... he could sue for defamation of character

Reply to
Bridger

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:41:31 -0700, Bridger brought forth from the murky depths:

True. What a hoot!

I hold George Carlin in high esteem and use the 7-words- you-can't-say-on-television loud and often, especially when I'm in the shop for some reason. ;)

------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

George got out no later than 1957. As a somewhat humorous aside, while he was in the Air Force he managed to get a job with a local (Florida) radio station. All was well until he decided to roast the CO. After that he couldn't seem to get off base for his radio shows.

I haven't seen him since the early '80s but he was a bundle of laughs then and fun to be with. I'm sorry to hear about his wife, he was devoted to her.

RB

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
RB

Probably never.

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

- George Carlin

RB

Reply to
RB