OT Temperature

Page 1 of 2
Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.
Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever seeing it that hot in Houston.
It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the Houston area during the summer.
For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more like August.
This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and which is predicted for the next several days.
In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July. We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.
On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Glue "open time" in the shop has been halved the past few days ... down to way less than five minutes with Titebond II.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Us Northwesterners are wimps compared to you guys. Last summer we had so little sun, that blackberries were almost nonexistent. This year will be a bumper crop. 91 yesterday, 93 today, well beyond us wimps comfort zone. At least it cools off at night with a little breeze. Quite pleasant to walk in after the sun goes down.

5 minute glue up time??
This means you are either going to build smaller, simpler projects or move twice as fast!! LOL

Makes me glad for my basement shop, where the temperature is a nice, consistent 68 degrees F all year long...
On 7/1/2013 5:44 AM, Leon wrote:

At least it's a wet heat...
On 7/1/2013 12:04 PM, jo4hn wrote:

I believe that means you are being parboiled instead of baked.
I am about twenty miles east of Raleigh, North Carolina
Temperature this summer has not been a problem as it was in June before we had our first 90 degree day, usually this occurs in May or April.
However with the low temperature come another problem. So far this year we have had about 26" of rain. 0ver 10" in June, over 2" last night.
On 7/1/2013 11:04 AM, jo4hn wrote:

LOL. Wish it were always a dry heat, at least your sweat would evaporate. Actually we had a very dry west wind on Saturday. Today was like Fall.
On 7/1/2013 9:04 AM, jo4hn wrote:

The worst I ever experienced was living in southeastern South Dakota. I was about 12 or 13 and got some work cleaning up somebody's garden area. The temperature was 105 dF with 95% humidity. Damn near died of heat prostitution. Here is Carlsbad, it's 72 dF/45% and overcast with a nice breeze. Ayup. In my old age I have succumbed to wimpiness.     mahalo,     jo4hn
On 7/2/2013 5:26 PM, jo4hn wrote:

That is a hot hooker. :-)
--
Froz...

On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

We were 109 on Thursday but yesterday's high was only 79 or thereabouts...normal this time of year is low-mid 90s so it's balmy, for sure!
Saying this will hold roughly thru most of the week--unfortunately, it also means zero chance for any precip and that we're desperately in need of--only 3" or a shade over so far this year, total, added to last two years of drought as well. 1" about three weeks ago, only 0.15" in April and May each...and now it's nearing the dry season of late July/August/September.

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 07:44:27 -0500, Leon wrote:

We're a long ways north of you in eastern WA and it's supposed to get to 102 today and 104 tomorrow. We had to turn on the A/C at 9AM - yesterday we didn't need it till 6PM.
But Seattle is only supposed to get to 85 or so and they are under an excessive heat warning - bunch of wimps!
carrying a cross.
On 7/1/2013 12:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Typically we don't get terribly hot as most of the time we get a south wind off of the gulf. Not unusual to only see low 100's briefly a time or two during August.

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live. Art
On 7/1/2013 11:25 AM, Artemus wrote:

it was only 120 here in phx over the weekend, far below the highest ever temp of 122 and almost balmy.
On 7/1/2013 2:25 PM, Artemus wrote:

Why'd they die? Was the river running hard?
I used to love jumping in the creek after mountain biking. I had to get a watch that wouldn't blow the seals.. finally got a real divers watch... my body heat then the cold water would make those crappy retail 100m watches gulp water...
I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much anymore.
--
Jeff

Currents and water temps in the 40's according to the tv news. Art

Here in Washington the nanny state they aren't taught to think for themselves anymore. If the state didn't warn them they aren't responsible for being to stupid to live.
Mike M
On 7/2/2013 10:31 AM, Mike M wrote:

I have lived in Indianapolis and in Raleigh, It seemed like every day there was some kind of warning. Heat, flood, storm, etc.
In fact they were so frequent, you stopped paying attention to them. "Oh there is a warning today. Another day another warning."
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:08:30 -0400, Keith Nuttle

You know it's getting really bad when you get a warning that there's going to be a warning.
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:31:54 -0700, Mike M wrote:

But there are no "creeks" in WA - at least none I've heard of. Of course, being an old Kentuckian, quite a few of the "rivers" in WA should be reclassified as "creeks".
carrying a cross.