OT - Shellac

I am rebuilding an old tractor and am in the process of fixing the starter motor. The field coil insulation has deteriorated and needs to be replaced. Got the cotton tape and somebody said use shellac instead of the 'Glyptal' used commercially. Will a strong shellac coating on the cotton work or do I need some more modern stuff. If shellac is OK what strength would be recommended. Thanks

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Reply to
Phil Hansen

I don't think shellac is a very good alternative for glyptal varnish, especially for your application, as shellac isn't considered to be very moisture/waterproof. If you take a small container into your local motor repair shop and ask them for a small amount of the right stuff they will probably just give you some. Then it will be repaired properly.

Reply to
Charley

Shellac melts. I don't know at what temperature, but I bet it's lower than glyptal (which IIUC, is lacquer, like nail polish not a varnish).

Dewaxed shellac is supposed to be more waterproof than raw shellac, but I'd still worry about the temperature on a motor.

Reply to
fredfighter

Phil Hansen wrote:

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The "somebody" who made that suggestion has their head where the moon doesn't shine.

Glyptol is an insulating varnish developed by GE specifically as an electrical insulation.

Personally, I'd have a motor rewind shop do the job.

You do the job, screw it up, and start a fire as a result in the cranking motor when you energize it, and where are you?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I am with Lew 110% on that one. I tried to rewind and rebuild a motor (the same one) twice in a moment of extreme enthusiasm. After two goes, it buzzed, but wouldn't even turn over. It would spin a little when I helped it, but that was it.

Later conversation with a large electric motor rebuilder here in town (this guy's shop is great - when I was in there he had a motor for an AC chiller unit that was almost 70 years old that he and his Dad had rebuilt 8 or 10 times) revealed that even I I did a good job, it would last nearly as long as a motor wound to specs on a winding jig.

There are some jobs you just want to leave to the pros...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks for that advise. Will find some glyptal or get it done by a pro. Definately do not want the shellac melting and burning. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea. Thanks

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Reply to
Phil Hansen