OT: Lasers and Tasers and Phasers and Things

I am doing a rather challenging project in an old home where the floors were laid on a web of small joists supported on beams which are basically complete trees with a flat side adzed along the length.

During the last 150 years, the lumber has copped an attitude of its own and has become very creative in its non-levelness.

To attempt to correct this washboard/minigolf, I decided to snap a chalk-line grid on the floor of 12" squares and that way measure the elevation at each intersection relative to a level plane shot across the floor with a laser. I transfer the elevation differences to the side of

2x4's and bandsaw them to fit the wobbles and valleys etc. I have used this method in an office in Toronto before with great success, using my dumpy level, and the end result was a very solid floor without too much increase in height... now I want a decent laser. The client goes along with the budget, Rob is happy, Rob gets a new toy, Rob gets to do a goofy project.

Off I go to The Borg (Orange) and start checking claims on the displays and I then check as much as I can on Google.... Back to HD...I want something simple, self levelling, small, and something that puts the beam as close to the floor as possible. I luck out on getting the help of a very friendly lady who is not afraid to rip open packages of batteries, so we can play with these things in the store.

Final bake-off happens between two lasers, exactly $100 apart. Both low enough to the ground to make me happy.

The one with the thinnest line is going to be it.... we turn them both on at the same time...and the Black & Decker BDL310S Crossfire wins it hands-down over a Johnson Acculine Model 40-6620 for $ 100.00 more.

Goes to show ya...

Reply to
Robatoy

I have occasion to do similar projects with great frequency. The PC laser is superb for such applications.

's around $200 but worth every penny. The remote control is amazingly useful. The laser follows you around as you walk around the project - far more useful than having to go back to the tripod to swing the beam around.

BTW, the width of the point of light is not really a factor in most applications. If you mark the center of the point of light it'll be as accurate as you'll ever need it to be.

RicodJour

Being a laser nut myself I appreciate your desire for a new toy. But transferring measurements seems like an awful lot of work. Why not just lay the 2x4 across the floor and draw a pencil line along it while keeping the pencil tip against a vertical stick that you drag on the floor? Or am I misunderstanding what you're doing?

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

...and how do I get a laser out of that?

Reply to
Robatoy

| In article , | "Owen Lawrence" wrote: | || Why not just lay || the 2x4 across the floor and draw a pencil line along it while || keeping the pencil tip against a vertical stick that you drag on || the floor? | | ...and how do I get a laser out of that?

You could use one of those nifty ball point pens with a laser built into the barrel. :-D

Morris Dovey

Are they running hot enough to mark the 2x4?

Reply to
Robatoy

Okay swap out the pencil for a burning laser head. You'll need to mount a laser somewhere on your bandsaw, too, if it doesn't already have one. And because you're using a laser your work automatically becomes more accurate.

Make a hologram of your finished work and post it to a.b.h.w.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

| In article , | "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net) || said: || ||| In article , ||| "Owen Lawrence" wrote: ||| |||| Why not just lay |||| the 2x4 across the floor and draw a pencil line along it while |||| keeping the pencil tip against a vertical stick that you drag on |||| the floor? ||| ||| ...and how do I get a laser out of that? || || You could use one of those nifty ball point pens with a laser built || into the barrel. :-D || | Are they running hot enough to mark the 2x4?

Let's hope not. The real trick with these will be to use the pen end to mark the tubafur while you're using the laser end to indicate where the mark goes. Tough to do unless you're relatively (pun intended) spry. Probably better to buy two of 'em so you'll have a backup.

On the other hand, if you did get a _really_ high-power laser, you could simply use it to burn off the high spots...

Morris Dovey

... my pencil lines are way finer than any laser I have seen, so this must be Tongue-In-Cheek.

Reply to
Robatoy

Guess you need to play with real lasers, not the silly diode things that they sell for woodworking.

I'd love to see a laser level with a spot size of something like 1/128".

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen