OT 'ish: Chainsaw Sharpening Kit

I'm sure that at least a few people on this NG own/use a chainsaw from time to time, so...
I've been wanting to get a chain saw sharpening tool, but wasn't sure what type to get - dremel attachment/clamp on angle guide/freehand file/etc... I ended up getting an angle guide/file kit made by Husquavarna from Lowes ($14). The kit comes with two round files and a flat file, a handle, and a small angle guide. The little guide is about an inch square and just sits on top of the chain, straddling a cutter. The guide aligns itself with the chain so that the correct angle is easy to obtain.
After just a few minutes spent figuring out how to use it, I was able to sharpen the chain in less than 10 minutes. I went outside to make a test cut on some recently cut logs - wow, this chain is scary sharp! Very impressive results with almost no learning curve and little time invested.
Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend Husky's file kit.
Mike
Mike wrote:

I agree. Don't know the brand of mine but same design, great tool that brings a chain back to life.
Mike wrote:

I've been using a file/guide for a couple years with decent results. Today I needed to sharpen my saw but with the recent storm we had in my area my file and guide was misplaced. I tried to buy a new file this morning and all the stores that I checked were sold out. I did find the Dremel attachment kit at Home Depot and bought it. I sharpened the saw about two hours ago much more quickly and with far superior results than I could do with the file and guide.
In my opinion the Dremel attachment is well worth the $10.00.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

My concern with the Dremel attachment is that it would be really easy to take too much metal off of the cutter, thus reducing the chains life span. Also, I've heard that the little grinding wheels for the Dremel don't last that long. I imagine that a regular file will outlast me.
Mike
I bought the Dremal attachment. After the first tooth, I took the guide off and just freehanded it. Easy enough to do if you have any sharpening or grinding experience. The stones last quite a long time.

Nah - if you're a real guy, you'll lose the file...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
J T wrote:

Already got it covered, a 12V battery "jumper" pack with a 12V DC to 120V AC inverter that I have.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Excuse to buy a new tool. Cordless Dremel. The new one with the lithium-ion pack runs a very long time on a charge.
If there was a chainsaw sharpening attachment for it the new Rotozip that uses 18v Bosch battery packs would be even better.

I've been using a simple file guide for a couple of decades and I've thought about a Dremel type honing wheel on and off. I can see where it would be much faster than a file, though I wouldn't expect any better results than a file. The thing that keeps me from moving ahead with the idea is that I keep thinking that I don't want something else to have to drag out into the woods with me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

The finer grit of the stone hones a sharper edge on the teeth.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Mike wrote:

Granberg makes a file-guide I've used for years. Clamps onto bar, holds file carrier at adjustable angle to bar, with adjustable height-stop. Makes for simple, consistent results. With a flat-file, you set the depth-gauges.
HTH, J