OT: Installing Durock tile underlayment for wood stove... need to know correct side to use?

Page 2 of 2

JackD wrote:

While doing my little dissertation on ceramics I debated including a paragraph on stainless steel.
Thermally, stainless is an amazing metal. It just does not want to get hot. It's atoms resist being excited. But after time it * will * get hot, and it does not like cooling down. It also does a fine job at radiating heat.
Stainless makes a fine shield for short term, doesn't work worth a damn for extended periods.

Coupled with:

It should be evident because the manufacturer states there is a minimum distance needed between the range and flammable surfaces this range cannot be installed with zero clearance, as is a normal consumer range.
A huge burner on a consumer range is 18,000 btu. My range has 28,000 btu burners. A high powered consumer level oven has roughly a 19,000 btu burner, this sucker has a 29,000 btu burner.
Our furnace is 80,000 btu, my range is 141,000 btu.
Baby makes some heat. You should check out commercial ranges sometime.
Comparing this range to a consumer cooker is like comparing a V6 Camero to a Z06 Corvette. There is no comparison beyond their both used for cooking.

This brings up the hood I have in mind .... but that's too far off topic.
I will say I'm looking for a commercial fire suppression system. Almost had one too, SOB outbid my wallet.

That would be appropriate had I brought up the signals being beamed at me from a CIA satellite, but since I didn't mention it, ... Remember, it's not paranoia if the really are after you.
:}
Ever try getting something out of a claims adjuster? Bastards will use any excuse they can.
My point is not giving them any excuses.
Hell, my point is keeping from filing a claim.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

It should be evident that since the manufacturer states minimum clearances that those are the minimum clearances. Thus if no clearance on the bottom is mentioned it is likely not required.

I know about commercial kitchen equipment. It is great if you have a commercial kitchen.

What are you cooking on it?

Not really, you are much more likely to have a fire over your stove than under it.

Well, check your local codes then and see if you are required to install a range which complies with ANSI Z21.1. If you are (which is quite commonly the case) and your range does not, then you have given "them" a huge excuse.
-Jack

i use a 2" thick piece as the floor of my glass kiln. it's very soft. you can dent it or probably cut it in two by dragging your fingernail over it enough times. the residue from cutting it is akin to asbestos, carcinogenic. it has to be encapsulated. i used a liquid silica hardener. this has to be fired after using it to at least 1400F.