OT: Installing Durock tile underlayment for wood stove... need to know correct side to use?

Thanks Mike. I used UltraFlex 2 mortar...very solid. Today I start laying the tile. So far so good...

Jon

Reply to
Jon B.

It should be evident that since the manufacturer states minimum clearances that those are the minimum clearances. Thus if no clearance on the bottom is mentioned it is likely not required.

I know about commercial kitchen equipment. It is great if you have a commercial kitchen.

What are you cooking on it?

Not really, you are much more likely to have a fire over your stove than under it.

Well, check your local codes then and see if you are required to install a range which complies with ANSI Z21.1. If you are (which is quite commonly the case) and your range does not, then you have given "them" a huge excuse.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

i use a 2" thick piece as the floor of my glass kiln. it's very soft. you can dent it or probably cut it in two by dragging your fingernail over it enough times. the residue from cutting it is akin to asbestos, carcinogenic. it has to be encapsulated. i used a liquid silica hardener. this has to be fired after using it to at least 1400F.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer