OT Happy Easter

Page 2 of 3
J. Clarke wrote:

I should have said "Most of the people in the world do not have an UNMOLESTED right..." One can believe whatever one wishes while the authorities have the will and the ability to punish that belief.
Thanks for helping clear that up.
HeyBub wrote:

The "authorities" have no way of knowing what one believes unless one acts on that belief or makes them aware of it in some other way.
J. Clarke wrote:

Then there's torture...
HeyBub wrote:

If you're being tortured it doesn't matter what you believe, only what they want to hear.
J. Clarke wrote:

There's a simple test for religious fealty. The authorities simply ask that you grievously insult the unapproved religion to which they suspect you adhere. If you willingly blaspheme a particular faith, well, then you can't really believe in it, can you?
HeyBub wrote:

Of course you can. It's called "lying".

It's called lying to save your own skin....

And that would be called 'legal'. YOU aren't lying, that torturer is MAKING you lie. AKA situational ethics.

Before the cock crows three times . . . . !
Dave in Houston
Larry Blanchard wrote:

You kids keep pickin' on one another but I must point something out: *All* systems of knowledge - including reason itself - hinge upon at least one, and often many "unproven beliefs". If that's you're only objection to religion you are on very thin ice.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:45:14 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

That seems to be one of your favorite posts, Tim. Tell me how "I don't know" rests on an unproven belief :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Don't try and drag me into your finger-in-the-eyes festival, Bubbie. I was merely responding to:
... in the (possibly forlorn) hope that someday, someone, somewhere, will see them and rethink their addisction to an unproven belief
*All* beliefs are "unproven" including (especially) that the sense-reason process is reliable, correct, complete, and sufficient. There is no particular reason to trust the human rational process moreso than the human metaphysical curiosity ... unless, of course, you're satisfied with an explanation of human existence that is entirely mechanical, lacks any teleology, and cannot distinguish between microbes and humans. I ain't pickin' sides in this fight (it's pointless), but you're kidding yourself if you think the folks of faith are somehow down the intelligence scale from the post-modern "thinkers" that have polluted intellectual pursuits for the past 75+ years.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I had a customer tell me once: "I don't care what people 'believe.' I don't even want to hear it. As far as I'm concerned, people don't have a right to believe shit. I'm only interested in what a person can PROVE! By prove, I mean present evidence sufficient on its face to compel a rational mind of the virtual certainty of the proposition supported by the evidence."
He went on: "For example, I'm agnostic on UFOs. But until someone can put a piece of one in my hand, I'm not interested in hearing about them and what they may or may not be. A corollary to that position is someone's claim of abduction and anal probing is NOT compelling evidence."
So I asked him: "You're a religious man, what's the compelling proof of God?" "Easy," he said. "One hundred thousand eyeball witnesses at Sinai (not counting slaves, women, and children) and an unbroken tradition re-telling the story. And before you say that's all hearsay, that process is as reliable as the reporting in the New York Times... shit! Never mind."

Can't say I disagree with him there, but it begs the question of the reliability of the NYT
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Nope... pretty much sums it up IMO.
Tom Veatch wrote:

Read the Bible with an open mind and you realize that it's journalistic reportage, and like all journalistic reportage, it varies widely in both accuracy and artistic merit.
Newspapers these days are their own worst enemy--they don't seem to be doing much better on accuracy than your run of the mill blogger.
HeyBub wrote:

+1

That's how you know it's there!

OK, let me guess, you read about this stuff in a book? Am I right?
Remind me never to wish anyone a happy holiday again!!!!! You guys need to make sawdust.