OT - Electrolysis is *so* cool!

I read the thread on Sylvan's vise plight and there was mention of electrolysis, so I found out what it was (DAGS, thanks) and put my evil plan into action. To make sure I didn't mess up anything important, I used an old lawn mower blade (negative lead) and a piece of reinforcing steel. Hooked up the ol' battery charger on 2 amps and let 'er run for a few hours.
Holy cow! It's magic! Some kind of voodoo went on in that bucket and now I have a lawnmower blade that's (half) perfectly rust free! I was so impressed with the results that I sprayed a little WD40 on the clean half and brought it with me to work to show all my coworkers this Amazing Electrochemical Process!
I'm sorry to say, they weren't impressed by a half-rusty lawnmower blade. I explained to them that this is totally non-abrasive, doesn't remove any extra material, and is potentially explosive. Nothing. Not even the Zero-Elbow-Grease argument brought them around.
However, my enthusiasm is undampened. Next is a pipe wrench. Then, a hand plane (Stanley smallish jack plane--a cheapo, I'm sure) so that I can try *again* to sharpen and tune one. Hell, I even called up my Paw In Law and asked him if he had any rusty tools he needed electrolyzed.
Perhaps this is less amazing than I am giving it credit for. But after a lifetime of wire brushes, steel wool and naval jelly that didn't work, I am totally impressed.
Okay, I've taken my Ritalin and I'm ba-ba-back to normal.
-Phil Crow
The setup I made in a 5 gal pail gets used all the time. It really is a labor saving and non polluting way of removing rust.
Tim
Phil Crow wrote:

The Guy wrote:

I hate it when I get nothing but replies to posts that never show up. Especially when someone is talking about me. :)

No one in my life was impressed either. Well, maybe my son.

Yeah buddy, I know the feeling. I think I'll chuck my naval jelly now.
It does wonders for unsightly facial hair too.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) wrote in message

I know the feeling. Had the same response after discovering scary sharp and being able to take paper thin micro inch shavings of wood. I still enjoy it though :-)
Regards George SA
You need to join my work group. I just discovered this miracle too and soaked a plane for a few hours. Fortunately I took before photos. Yesterday I took my photos and derusted plane to work and killed most of the day showing it off. I think after this weekend Seattle will be rust-free...
But, maybe YOUR experience will be a reminder to you about why you come here to talk this stuff. Anyone here who has seen the Voodoo Magic understands you perfectly.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA