OT - Damn ...

Page 1 of 2
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can go looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing but sunshine!
CNN ... you dumbasses!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

1.5" what a wimp of a storm.
And, I loaded up my shop, last night, with all of the things from the yard that could have flown about. Tonight I have to undo all of that effort.
I was hoping to get some actual shop time to work on the cabinets for the shop. First things first. :(

I have finally come up with a "term" for the condition that the weather celebrities have. When little boys and girls discover what each other have, the little girls are some times fascinated with the "extra's" that the little boys have. IIRC it is called Peni_ Envy.
Weather celebrities have Hurricane Envy and in Houston the Weather Celebrities are terminal with it. When I lived 200 miles south west in Corpus Christi we had 3 "Major" hurricanes in a 10 year period. Houston has had 2 hurricanes, but not as strong, in the last 50+ years. To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2 straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in Buffalo, NY.
"Leon" wrote:

You need to spend some time in SoCal.
The weather jockies have at least 100 different ways to say that it will be 70F and the sun will shine, unless you are in the desert, then it's 100F.
And you get an update every 15 minutes.
Talk about filling time.
Lew

Is that an invite Lew? '~)
"Leon" wrote:

You want to be a weather person?<G>
About the best weather gig in the country has got to be Dick Goddard in Cleveland.
Was a weather guy in the air force.
Mustered out and started doing TV weather around 1960.
Cleveland has very unique weather patterns do to the effects of Lake Erie.
Goddard was pretty good at getting it right more than half the time,
One of the first to get the meteorological seal of approval as a weather forecaster.
Has a lot of fun with the Farmers Almanac.
Uses the wooly bear caterpillar for a fall festival, etc, etc.
As far as I know, he still does a daily show.
Lew

When my son was very young I always told him that he could always be a doctor or a weather man, no one ever expects you to get it right the first go round. ;~)

Good for him as few are worth a darn.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

We
There ya go ... in a nutshell.
... which, depending upon the wind chill factor, may be more, or less, sensational than your average nutshell
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Go stand on the Galveston seawall with your yellow slicker on, crank up the off-camera wind machine while a gaffer sprays you with a water hose. I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 and then saw the graphic EDUORD AFTERMATH filling the whole screen during the 6:00 local broadcast. Sheesh.
Dave in Houston

We had a storm here in Illinois this morning, and after it got done I spent around an hour cleaning leaves out of the pool. Was Eduord about like that?
Puckdropper

Not that bad.
Dave in Houston wrote: ...

Well, there's a plus, anyway... :)

On 2, Marissa Reyes? stood on the beach doing some break dancing to show how windy it was and yet her hair mostly stood still in the wind.
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:18:14 -0500, "Leon"

You figger it was shellac, or poly?
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

She has black hair, probably "Beach Tar". LOL

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind hit 15-16 knots twice all day.
Dave in Houston
Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.
There can be a high of 96, with 99% humidity and then a low of 30 that nite, followed by hail the next day, with lightning storms later that night - which seem to last for hours and really snap crackle and pop, with regular deafening booms - before the light reaches you. Then there's a month of drought which may trigger the locust swarms. Haven't heard of any rivers turning to blood or swarms of flies followed by an onslaught of frogs - but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Though, growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, I have experienced the front of the car in sunshine, and the back of the car in a sheet of rain, I had never seen horizontal rain, nor been blown sideways - in a van - with new tires.
Around Austin, the phrase "God willing and the creek don't rise." has real meaning. And you better pay attention to the Depth Sticks at low bridges after the sky has opened up - or you may find that your vehicle will actually float - for a while.
charlieb wrote:

Pretty close. One of the guys I used to work with in Dallas said he took a meteorology course in grad school and was told that people in Dallas had one of the worst areas in which to predict weather. Something to do with the location relative to the Gulf and other geographic features.

I believe that. There are a lot of places in Texas that face extreme temps, but not too many that go both ways as the Dallas area.
The unofficial temps over the weekend I saw on the 24 hour weather channel was 107. Claims are that it was actually a balmy 104.
In just a few short months they will be facing ice and snow, sometimes a helluva lot of it, and then in the spring heavy rains and flooding.
They can have it.
Robert