(OT) Baldor Buffer Bloviate

You might recall that I made some hardware for a ww project just completed. I cut these drawer pulls from some scrap sheet metal and I used one of those fuzzy buffing wheels and some white buffing compound in the final finishing. I was using my 18v Dewalt driver/drill with the buffing wheel rig attached. It was a RPITA getting the job done what with changing batteries, having the workpiece catch the buff wheel and flip out and so on and so forth. Well, I figured if I'm going to be doing any more hardward crafting I need a buffer worthy of my time. I looked around the net and finally ordered a Baldor,

3/4 hp buffer( that uses industrial 8" wheels )from Amazon which had the lowest price I could find. Also, got some buffing wheels and buffing compound from another internet site. Anyhows, that big sucker(55 lb) arrived in less than a week. I mounted it on a heavy table and fired it up. The thing was sooo smooth running. I applied a left-over scrap of the sheet metal to the wheels and got it mirror-like in no time. There was NO tendency for the wheel to pull the piece out of my hand as I expected and experienced with the wheel in the drill. The metal was mirror-like in no time. There was a little problem in that some buffing wheels have a 'preferred' direction but I got that straightened out ...yaa know RTFM. I pulled my ole 'patinaed' bench square down and put a mirror finish on that and then some other Starrett tools. I know the buffer won't be good at sharpening chisels or plane irons but there is no question that it will put a mirror on the flat portions of these tools. Baldor makes good stuff just a ways south of here in Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Baldor does make great motors. They are an important company here in Fort Smith. They have an unbelievably good reputation for quality as well as a place to work. Wish I worked there sometimes. Mike in Arkansas home of Baldor

Reply to
JMWEBER987

Well, I'll be. I'm from just south of Mena (living in Texarkana at the moment, though), and I never knew Baldor was made in Fort Smith.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig