Old house, x-large register vents...

So I am rehabbing this house (built approx 1930), doing the finishing trim now. I go to put the store bought register vents in the front room, and the original vent "holes" are 3 1/4" out from the baseboard, all of the vent covers available now (that I could find) are only 3 inches deep.... needless to say this leaves 1/4" of exposed duct.
After a trip to all of the local stores, I figure I am going to have to make my own.
Found some clear pine in the scrap bin, some gutter leaf screen in the shed, a can of black spray paint, and got to work.....
http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent2.jpg (finish looks a little weird in this image, I am guessing it's the flash)
That is with the first application of rubbing oil, will need a couple more applications to match that trimwork.
http://arms.tacticalinnovations.com/register-vent.jpg (please excuse the dirty floor and poor image quality!)
One thing I am not that happy about is that you can see the grey duct work through the screen if you look straight down, so I will probably add some sort of air deflector inside to hide it...
Or spray paint the inside of the visible duct work black
Old Guy

That is what we do at the HVAC shop I work for. Use flat black paint and the duct will "disappear". Greg
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:10:23 -0500, "Locutus"

I'm vaguely familiar with this - on my house it's the cold air returns that are a wood lattice that I've never seen in a store. When I moved in year ago, only 1 of three was still good. And the biggest of the three was missing altogether. Needless to say I built my own.
Good luck with yours. I'd paint the inside black, but I also like the air deflector idea to hide the ductwork anyway.

Like the stones sang... "I see a red door and I want to paint it.......

What is that supposed to mean?
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:09:33 -0500, "Locutus"

"I see a red door and I want to paint it black"
He wants the OP to paint the ductwork.