Okay to use Ridgid knives in a Delta jointer?

I have a Delta JT360. In HD today I saw a set of Ridgid knives for $12. Since the Delta knives are $45 (I have a set on order from Amazon) it seemed like a good deal.

They are a bit thicker, wider, and longer; but fit in okay. Before I turn the machine on and have the cutter head blow up, is there any reason not to use them? They weigh more than the Delta, but since it is balanced, that should not matter, should it?

Reply to
toller

Gregory McGuire

"toller" wrote in news:5XK%c.3443$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

I was working alongside a buddy of mine this afternoon. He's a professional firefighter and EMT. Somehow, we got to talking about the trouble some folks get into, trying to save a buck or two, and having things go horribly wrong.

Admittedly, Mike only really sees the disasters, when the sirens scream and the trucks roll. But how badly do you need to save $35?

If you want to use some other brand, at least buy them from a sharpening service that understands what items can be used in various machines. No one says you have to buy from the Orange BORG.

Patriarch, not comfortable testing sharp objects at 3750 rpm...

Reply to
patriarch

NOT the same SIZE-- FIRST CLUE--scary

Before I turn

Not the same size!

They weigh more than the Delta, but since it is balanced, that

Maybe not, but-- answer this. Are you willing to risk your $$ How much? Planer for what $45 - $12 = $33 bucks?? Sounds scary to me JMO Phil

Reply to
Phil
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Hey...it's your planer & your life......fire it up & run like hell to save $33, seriously I would only consider that if the original blades were not available as a last resort. A lot of engineering probably went into the OEM set up, perhaps it's a good idea to respect that.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Don't do it. And you can ask me how I know this (DAGS on the rec, my name and jointer). You don't want those suckers coming out and flying about or tearing up the table and the guard. Take a look at

or DAGS for jointer knives to find something the same size. If not, spend the bucks. [full stop] mahalo jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

The forces exerted on the blades are a function of mass times acceleration. It sounds like you are already affecting the mass part of the equation ("thicker, wider and longer"). The acceleration is a function of the rotational velocity. Its an unknown unless you have the specs of the Delta and Ridgid to directly compare. Your proposed substitution may be drastically exceeding the design specs of the Delta cutter head or the Ridgid blades or both, the result being catastrophic destruction at an inopportune moment. In other words, its a dangerous substitution.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

By Wed, 08 Sep 2004 21:36:01 GMT, "toller" decided to post "Okay to use Ridgid knives in a Delta jointer?" to rec.woodworking:

Please, go to the dictionary and look up the word "gobbet." Using the too large knives might produce a few, and it's good to have the proper word handy, just in case.

HTH,

/ts

Reply to
/..