Oil finish for MDO?

I have some MDO cabinets in my shop and some birch plywood cabinets. I'm thinking of applying a BLO and wax finish to them. I'd like them all to look somewhat similar when I'm done.

Does MDO take an oil finish? Is this likely to work?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Bill Delphenich

TIOSS (try it on some scrap)

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Do you mean MDO or really MDF? MDO has a phenolic resin overlay that won't take kindly to BLO. It is typically used for concrete forming, however there are other uses.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Yeah, its MDO.

I know MDO is perfect for painting, but I'm not so sure about oil. I'll test it and see. Its only my shop; my standards aren't all that high. I'd kind of like to give everything that yellowish, oiled wood look.

JackD wrote:

Reply to
WCD

On 07 Oct 2003, WCD spake unto rec.woodworking:

Putting oil on MDO is going to give you that translucent, greasy paper bag full of onion rings look.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Hmmm . . . I think that's probably about right.

Reply to
Bill Delphenich