O/T: Opinion

Page 1 of 3
I am opposed to the death penalty.
Took a tour of the execution facility used in 1950 by the State of Ohio and I doubt I'll ever forget it.
Having said that, I'm beginning to have a totally different opinion of piracy.
The old timers had it right IMHO.
Capture a pirate vessel,.forget the trial, hang the crew and throw them over board, scuttle the pirate vessel, and keep on truck'in.
Obviously oil is driving current events.
Sooner or later; however, this problem has to be resolved.
Off the box.
Lew

Why bother capturing it? Sink it and let the sea gather its own.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

--------------------------------- Difficult to sink an ocean going vessel; however, scuttling is a different matter.
Lew

---------------------------------- Update your numbers a little bit.
Annual cost of incarceration is about $45-$50K/yr/inmate.
Estimated cost to execute someone is in the order of $2,000,000-$2,500,000.
On a worst case basis calculation:
$2,000,000/$50,000 = 40 years.
Life without parole is not only less costly but it's reversible if society gets it wrong.
As far as the pirates are concerned, they are past just the Zodiac inflatable, they are operating more than 200 miles offshore.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Those suckers should be earning their keep, prisons should be self supporting or close to it.
When I was a kid, the movie judges always sentenced the perps to X years at hard labor. Whatever happened to the "hard labor" part?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote the following:

Cruel and Unusual Punishment.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

And chain gangs. What happened to chain gangs? Last time I saw or heard of a chain gang was 1961 in Alabama.

Not exactly the same thing, but prison work crews are still used for cleanup and such.

Around here (Oregon) that seems do be done with short term (less than a year, in general) prisoners from the local jails, not the prisoners from the penitentiaries.

Likely because of the flight risk.

Fairly recently in Texas.
I've seen them in the 50's as a kid - they were cleaning the streets after a flood. Man on horseback with a big gun.
Martin
On 3/30/2011 12:00 AM, CW wrote:

On 03/29/2011 03:12 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Check out Maricopa County, Arizona. Chain gangs are voluntary and open to women and juveniles. Not really the chain gangs of yore...

Paul Newman!
Last I saw were out of Kilby Prison in Alabama.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

still common in az
I saw my first and only chain gang working on a road project on Florida in 1974 Not sure if they were chained but the guns were watching closely.
Death Penalty. I agree the death penalty is too harsh and useless for most crimes.
Second timers and prison guard / cop killers should be an exception but based on televised & publicized US court cases I wouldn't trust an American court decision to evaluate the crime with that serious of a penalty. Public square horsewhipping comes to mind.
Somebody likes to start fights...LOL ---------------
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message And chain gangs. What happened to chain gangs? Last time I saw or heard of a chain gang was 1961 in Alabama.
"dadiOH" wrote in message

Outsourced to China.

As are fisherman. I was very surprised to see guys fishing the Indian Ocean in small boats 700 miles from shore. The small boats have mother ships the same way that the pirates do. In any guerrilla action the trick is being able to tell the good guys from the bad. We have a tough enough time with a 1000 mile line of border - I have no idea how to effectively patrol a million square miles of ocean.
Offing the pirates on sight sounds great, but it creates problems for the people and ships already held hostage. You'd essentially be writing them off as well. When the topic of dealing with pirates comes up some people refer to how the Romans dealt with piracy. I'm not so sure that was anything more than marketing and spin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompey#Campaign_against_the_pirates

As are fisherman. I was very surprised to see guys fishing the Indian Ocean in small boats 700 miles from shore. The small boats have mother ships the same way that the pirates do. In any guerrilla action the trick is being able to tell the good guys from the bad. We have a tough enough time with a 1000 mile line of border - I have no idea how to effectively patrol a million square miles of ocean.
Offing the pirates on sight sounds great, but it creates problems for the people and ships already held hostage. You'd essentially be writing them off as well. When the topic of dealing with pirates comes up some people refer to how the Romans dealt with piracy. I'm not so sure that was anything more than marketing and spin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompey#Campaign_against_the_pirates
Why cite the Romans when we have our own proud tradition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
RicodJour wrote:

You're right. We can never succeed by killing the workers. We have to destroy the nest.