non-toxic wood for birds

Hi all,
My daughter has just purchased a Sun Conure (a type of small parrot) and is wanting me to make some wooden pieces to put in the cage like ladders, perches, etc. I'm all for it, but I don't know if some woods may be toxic to parrots, so I just thought I would ask any experts that might be out there. This bird is much too expensive to find out later that I shouldn't have made a perch out of . . .(fill in the blank).
I have some Pine, Red Oak, Mahogany, Purpleheart, Poplar, and Jatoba right at the moment. I could also get some cypress (from a Leyland cypress that used to be in my back yard). I would like to use the red oak since it is a hard wood and should be able to withstand some chewing, but I am a little wary of that one. Think I might use the poplar. I can buy something else if it is known to be safe.
In the meantime I will keep looking through the Internet to see if I can find some info on this. I have seen a lot of info about the care and feeding, but nothing about what "toys" should be made out of.
Thanks in advance for all advice,
Wayne
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:39:18 +0000, NoOne N Particular wrote:

I gave a conure owning friend some madrona(sp?) brances from blow down. The little buggar loved these small "trees" in her large cage. She nibbled off all the twiggy stuff, but never did get through anything larger than 1/4" or so thick. Bingo was her name and she used those branches for many years before her demise - while the owners were away for a day, she turned her insides out trying to lay an egg :-(
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Here is one site with info on "safe" woods for perches and toys
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/perch.html

fruit woods are good but for cherry (poisonous) oak would be fine. no sappy woods either. purpleheart would be fine too and strong. maple, beech, poplar would be good too.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
http://www.birdsafe.com/woods.htm
[...]
Stay away from black walnut...toxic to animals & plants.
I used to remove / prune tree and reduced them to mulch. People would come by and ask for the mulch. If the mulch contained black walnut, we wouldn't give it to them for that reason. Joe

Thanks to all who responded. The two links that I received were great and just what I was looking for. The other advice is also appreciated. I have since subscribed to rec.birds and rec.pets.birds, but just have not had the time to look through them yet, or ask the questions there. I'll ask my bird questions there from now on.
Thanks again,
Wayne