New mobile base from Rockler

A great idea, but OUCH!
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !257&ref_id`71&ref_t=Z&originidh978421
Having recently moved my shop to a new (temporary) location, Leon and I were just discussing the problem with most mobile bases that simply don't cut the mustard.
This one looks like a winner in the category, and I could sure use/replace three of my current mobile bases, but at that price I could almost buy a Festool ... of some sort!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !257&ref_id`71&ref_t=Z&originidh978421
Those are the ones that I was thinking about, give The Cutting Edge a call, they have Shop Fox and Jet brand with similar construction. Last week they were 5% off, maybe cheaper this week. 713- 981-9228
Actually,,,,, This looks better priced.
http://grizzley.com/products/Mini-Mobile-Base/G8683
Hey those look pretty good. As soon as I can close a deal on a house I will be in need of 5 or 6 mobile bases. I have been considering the universal bases where you cut a piece of 3/4 ply and bolt on at the corners like these http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5114
Anyone used these or the sho fox ones linked above? Opinions?

Hey those look pretty good. As soon as I can close a deal on a house I will be in need of 5 or 6 mobile bases. I have been considering the universal bases where you cut a piece of 3/4 ply and bolt on at the
I'd put functionality of any caster arrangement over the cost of them. If there's one thing I can't stand it's casters that don't roll easily or pivot easily. I can't comment on the quality of the ones you've mentioned above, but I wouldn't be too quick to rush out and buy some solely on the price or the visual aspect of them. At the very least, I'd call your Woodcraft and ask them if they have a demonstration set of them in operation for you to look at. Especially so, since you're considering a number of mobile bases. Either that or buy one pair, use them and if happy, then buy more.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:16:15 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I've got 3 of them and would buy more if I needed them. I especially like the large levers for my large feet :-).
Caveat: I work part-time at Woodcraft, but I'd still buy them if I didn't.
Swingman wrote: ...

The case, maybe??? :)
I've modified some of the really cheap (like $12/set eBay) imports by adding store-bought casters to do the same thing for much less. Not quite so neat, perhaps but functional and in the "cheap but cheery" mode...
Swingman wrote:

Hmm - that works out to about $47.50/caster. I think I'd be more inclined to by a set of casters and take my tool measurements to a local welding shop...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Probably a screwdriver, or an officially licensed coffee mug.
Maybe... ;^)
Robert

LOL ... trust you to snap to the satire/irony. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !257&ref_id`71&ref_t=Z&originidh978421
Yabbut, this is an ALL-TERRAIN mobile base. So you can use it when out fourwheeling, hunting, etc.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

As in the rednecks last words: "Hey y'all, watch this ... let take the table saw to the duck blind!"
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08
Swingman wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page !257&ref_id`71&ref_t=Z&originidh978421

I built my first stand using re-claimed shopping car wheels (the fixed wheels mounted on the rear legs (of the tool stand) so as to touch the ground when the tool is at rest and the swiveling wheels mounted on a small platform that - when in the "down" position, lifts the front legs of the stand off the loor and allows you to dance the tool about the (concrete) shop floor with ease and grace.
I used 1" mild steel square tube for me framing parts ad welded it all together. But one could bolt it together.
When I sold the saw, the base went with it. The replacement saw used a Rigid Mobile base with a (similar) foot pedal approach to raise the saw onto the wheels to roll about. I took it off when I moved up here and use those sliding furniture pads at teh moment.
I built another stand for my RAS using the fixed wheels at the rear and the rotating casters on a movable platform for the "front" and designed it so the rear "legs" were plumb and parallel to the rear frame of the saw base and the front legs splayed out left-right and back to front for stability while allowing the saw to be pushed flush against the wall when not in use.
If you travel behind the shopping centers, you can often find steel tube for free in the form of old chrome display racks which make excellent tool stands when cut down and welded into another form! Look in the dumpsters, too! And ask at Tractor Supply (and similar) for their discarded display racks - they have to pay for the dumpsters and carting them away (I like the Ferry Morse seed displays from Tractor Supply as the make great rolling shelving units and are easily cut down and reworked with a hacksaw (1/2" square tube and formed steel construction). Some of the stuff they sell comes in Steel Pallets they throw away!
I make have some pictures or sketches if anyone is interested, But there should be plenty of stuff out there under tools stands or mobile bases etc via Google.