New Box

I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end- grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

> The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-

That is a really cool design and looks great. I do certainly hope that the birch does not expand or contract in the years to come.

Reply to
Leon

Sun, May 6, 2007, 1:51pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FoggyTown) doth dementedly sayeth: I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

LMAO Even tho you have this strange mental problem it looks good.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Very nice with the end grain displayed like you did. I think a thatched top would have taken away from the beautiful end grain pattern. Maybe a utili handle on the top would add some interest?

Tim

> The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-

Reply to
tdup2

Reply to
damian penney

So do I. But I couldn't find any other wood with such a pronounced end grain and a small radius so that the figuring was so prominent.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

So do I. But I couldn't find any other wood with such a pronounced end grain and a small radius so that the figuring was so prominent.

FoggyTown

The orientation of the end grain is more the problem with wood movement and or shrinkage than the particular species. Either way it looks pretty cool. I'm thinking perhaps an end grain veneer might be an option if this happens to give you a problem later on.

Reply to
Leon

Actually it's already a kind of thick veneer. I made an initial 4- sided box of 3mm ply and then glued the 4mm thick end-grain panels and utili strips to the ply as well as the panels and stripes to each other. So every component of the skin has five mating surfaces. If I'm lucky it will be stable!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown