New 24x40 shop

Page 2 of 2

Rick Samuel wrote:

I'd say "no".
Think about the working "footprint" for the various machines. Not just the machine, but the area for the human to get around them. More than that, even----- where is the stock going to be? Also think about room for maintenance of each machine. Adjustment, troubleshooting, replacing belts, etc.
Best example is the table saw. If I had a shop that big, I think I'd want 8 feet clear all the way around the blade and 12 feet front and rear. If I had to give up some space, I probably could live with 4 or 5 feet to the right of it.
Planer: 2 feet on each side and 12 feet clear at either end. Consider putting some machines at a 20 or 30 degree angle so the stock can pass right by one side of the machine ahead or behind it.
Band Saw and jointer could have one side against a wall.
I'd do as another poster suggested and make the little paper cutouts to move around on a gridded floor plan. Place the machine separately onto its "full footprint" cutout so you can easily see when the open spaces can overlap. If you make the cutouts the way I describe above, you will get to see pretty quickly why you don't want the DC in the middle.
Some guys have a swinging sort of "crane" that can swing out from the DC input overhead, at almost ceiling height. A flexible pipe hangs down and can be quickly attached to the machine that needs it. That crane might be able to handle 3 or 4 machines.
Even with this size of shop, consider which machines might make good use of mobile bases. I'd try NOT to use one under the table saw; limit their use to the least used machines. For any mobile machines, their footprint only needs to be as big as the machine itself, as long as you account for a spot for it move TO when needed.
Oh, yeh: a good friend of mine put his DC outside the shop (in a storage section of the same building), so ONLY the pipes are inside, and no noise from it either.
I wish I'd said that to myself before I started filling up MY shop.
Pete Stanaitis

A 24 x 40 shop? That's feet, not inches, right??? Damn you suck.... Best wishes and make lots o' sawdust for many years to come. Mark

It better be feet!! All I know is 24X40 & 9("or'?) sidewalls
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be back, I'm sure.
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message:
| Is it practical to place all the major dust making machines around the dust | collector? Like the wagon trains of old, when attacked. <snip>|
I would put a large trunk down the center of the shop and branch off where needed. Buy a 5hp or larger Oneida that will pull well, little ones don't, I know. (I can clean a 20" planer from 30 feet away and a TimeSaver sander from 40 ft. Also place your dust collector in an outside closet or such to keep the noise down. (most of the noise of the machines is from the exhaust.)
I would suggest doing a deluxe electric job at the outset.
Make sure that you have it well insulated and you will be glad later.
If you can get 3-phase electric, do so now. If you can't, get a rotary phase converter from American Rotary. You just can't buy a lot of machines in single phase. My 40 hp converter costs 37cents/hr to run.
Make sure that you have doors on both ends (north and south if possible) and you will get good free air conditioning. (I'm located west of Fort Worth).
Wish you well, have fun.
woodstuff