new 14" Powermatic Bandsaw - 6" riser wait

I purchased Powermatic's new 14" bandsaw on November 18th and was to have the 6" riser block accessory drop-shipped to me since it was not in stock at the dealer's. I have now learned from Powermatic's help desk that they do not have any risers in stock and that the earliest they, the company, might have them in would be the first week in January.

So if you are thinking about buying this bandsaw and want the extra 6", we prepared to wait. Otherwise, it seems to be a mighty fine and very stable, saw.

John Poole

Reply to
John Laurence Poole

John, join the club of happy Powermatic band saw owners! Dontcha just LOVE THAT SUCKER?? I had a Delta, so I REALLY appreciate the improvement in design, function, features, and smoother operation of the PM. I also inquired about the riser. It's just a few more weeks away, if it's early Jan. Not a biggee. Did you get the $50 accessory coupon?

I put mine on a Delta adjustable mobile base that I had previously used on a DP. I realized that I never move the DP.

The one thing dangerous about the Powermatic is that it is SO quiet that when I turn off the power the blade spins so quietly for about 16-18 seconds, that I've had to be careful about detensioning too quickly or touching the blade. I never had any problem knowing when the Delta was running! I'll say it again for anyone who's needing a band saw, I am SO glad that I returned the Delta; it was a vibrating, irritating piece of equipment that sorely disappointed me from the minute I set it up. Thank goodness the store gave me a full refund. THAT'S customer service!

What brand of blades have you got for it? I picked up an All Pro Olson

3/16 scroll blade. It works great, but I don't have any experience with any others that size.

dave

John Laurence Poole wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

My dealer was showing me one of these the other day. He was salivating over it and wanted to replace the saw in his own shop with it. He told me there was a long wait on the riser blocks, but I thought he said it is much longer than a couple of months. A bandsaw is in my "phase 2" shop purchase plan (just completed phase 1) and I will seriously consider the Powermatic.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

It isn't on their website yet. they are slow to update it, aren't they!! PWBS-14. It's even cooler in it's own right than the PM-54A jointer.

dave

FOW wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave