Need advice on polyurethane on red oak baseboard

I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid? Thanks. Best Regards, Sandy

Reply to
sandy.assum

If you want to avoid yellowing, use a water based. The oil will yellow. The oak will darken over time anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, and our eyes still see amber colors as warm and friendly. Makes absolutely clear, or with some water-borne types, cold bluish stuff look weird.

Reply to
George

Reply to
sweet sawdust

For a reason now forgotten, I was showing a neighbor a couple pieces I had made a while back. Both oak, one finshed w/water base, one w/oil. The oil actually looked better as oak has that natural amber hue and the oil poly warmed it. And, as stated, oak will darken a bit as it ages.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Uh, how does a woodsmith "planner" prevent polyurethane from yellowing? And how does it prevent a hospital visit as a result of applying polyurethane?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I bet his response was meant for the thread about the 2 10" blades cutting multiple pieces.

Reply to
efgh

What! ... you haven't heard about the new, 2007, laser guided, anti-yellowing, "planner"!!?? ;)

... wanna bet he was replying to the thread about gang ripping with two blades on a table saw and got the wrong thread?

Reply to
Swingman

I would also use oil based. When I first started in this hobby, I always used water based Poly. The projects I made don't look near as nice as the ones finished in oil.

Also, oil poly is more durable/tough, which is nice to have on a baseboard which might get banged from time to time.

I don't know if there's any specific brands to avoid. Just get one of the major brands and you should be fine. If this is the first time you've ever applied poly, I recommend getting "polyuerethane for floors". It is thinned a little bit, which makes it much easier to avoid getting brush marks/bubbles. That's what I use.

Reply to
bf

Reply to
sweet sawdust